•2•

One week later

the trees blurred past your peripheral as you rushed down the road, running with a hand clamped down on the strap of your messenger bag as it bumped against your thigh in a repeated, almost bruising motion. Your breathing was an attempt at keeping a good oxygen flow, moderately deep inhale with a quick exhale - your lungs, however, were burning already.

"Please please please please please-" you chanted under your breath like a mantra, skidding to a stop at the doors of the bus just as they began closing.

"Hey! I'm here!" you yelled, out of breath and sporting a crooked apologetic smile as the bus driver begrudgingly opened the doors. You thanked them profusely for allowing you on as you flashed your bus pass, swinging into one of the side seats as the bus jolted to life and began rolling down the road. Just in time. You allowed yourself a wheeze of relief to beating the odds, and then pulled your computer out of your messenger bag, booting it up and continuing the work on the essay that had gotten you into the predicament of missing the bus.

You had woken up early feeling energized, and had gotten dressed and ready remarkably quick for a Monday. So early, in fact, that you were even able to catch your mom for a goodbye hug as she went out the door to go to her work, a gardening business she herself owned and ran. This kind of rare morning read as a good omen, and so you forwent normal diligence to check on your recent assignments and carve a chunk out of them.
You only barely registered the bus passing by your house by the glint of its exterior through the main front-facing window, head snapping up and then looking down to the time. You cursed, slapped your computer shut, and then busted your ass to grab everything and book it out the door.

Missing the bus would have been far from ideal, as the next bus that came by was a half-hour after that one, and would have definitely made you late to your work at one of the city bookstores.

No more homework in the morning you thought.
You had made it on the bus by a hairs-breadth, and weren't keen on repeating that mistake. There wasn't time in the morning to even get good work done anyway.

Replying the scenario in your read made you chuckle, and you pulled out your phone, opening it up to messages and clicking on the contact, "Mom 💕"

Almost missed
the bus lol!
had to sprint
like a fool to
catch it

Your mom responded almost immediately.

😂
Good thing you made
it, getting a dock in
pay would make it
harder to pay us
rent.

You rolled your eyes.

Yeah yeah loan
shark, I get it. 400
on Friday as usual.

Haha! I have my
work mind on...
Love you honey!

Oh also... dad isn't
going to come home
this or next weekend.
Work needs him longer
over there.

Okay, thanks
Have a good day mom

You smiled despite the news about your dad and pocketed your phone, glancing out the window and at the monitor towards the front to check the buses location before refocusing on the essay before you. Darn, you had been looking forward to seeing your dad. His job made him fly around the country often, and he only came back home twice a month on the weekend. That meant it was mostly just you and your mom, but since she was busy with her job and you were busy with work and university, you two were more like roommates.