•5•

A few days after the crow incident came and went, you found yourself still shaken from the events of that morning.

The image of the dismembered crow seemed to have imprinted itself on your eyelids, because every time you closed your eyes you could see it in full detail: the shape of the blood on the gravel; the blues and greens of the feathers reflection in the sun; the dulled glare of its eye as it stared up at you, as if blaming you for its gruesome demise.

This lead to rough sleep filled with multiple wakings a night, thankfully without nightmares (or ones you could remember). Still, it wasn't ideal, and you dragged yourself to work each morning mentally cursing your supervisor and the schedules he gave you. Seriously, management could smell a good work ethic from an employee a mile away and slowly wring it out of them like they were juicing an orange.

... Okay, so maybe it wasn't that dramatic. Still tiring to have so many morning shifts though.

You walked in and headed straight to the break room, set your bags down, and took a look at the schedules for the next week. As you ran your finger down the page, you noticed at least six others were scheduled to come in around the same time.

Huh, looks like we're over-staffed today, You thought as you put your bags in your locker and went to get changed.

At least this means I might get to leave early.

You smiled as you clocked in. Gotta enjoy the little things after all. Thank goodness you weren't the two who had to work the kids section, that was a nightmare. Nope, just cash for you - and once you put on your customer service façade, it was all too easy to let the hours slip away.

Eventually one of your coworkers walked up to you.
"Hey, I'm off break, it's your turn."

"Thank you." You said genuinely, slipping away to the backroom just as you saw a handful of customers sidle up to the checkout line. Safe with seconds to spare.

God, you could really use a nap right now. That, or an ample amount of caffeine, either would be good. No, you were to tired to even walk two feet to the coffee shop adjacent to your work. You'll just nap at the table in the break room.

I'll just get my coat and use that as a pillow.

To your surprise, when you entered the break room you found Charlie sitting at the table, half-eaten Tupperware meal before her and her nose in a book. She looked up as you came in and smiled at your obvious confusion.

"There's been a bit of break overlap. Lots of people in today."

"Yeah." You said, trudging to your locker. Actually, seeing Charlie's meal reminded you of your own hunger, and the leftovers in your bag.

You popped the meal into the microwave and set it to the appropriate time, thinking about what to say to Charlie. You had to do some talking, it would be awkward otherwise. Thankfully, she bridges the gap first.

"How's university?" She asked, setting her book aside. You turned to face her and leaned against the counter.

"It's good. Keeps me busy though - you know, I heard a statistic somewhere that said the average university student reads two hundred pages a day, but I must be an outlier because I swear, the reading my teachers assign me..." you shook your head and Charlie laughed.