Prologue

Juliettes POV:

After getting home from school I wanted to surprise my dad with dinner. I know he's been taking extra long shifts at work to keep up with paying the bills. I put on my favourite playlist and "Hypnotic" by Zella Day came on. Because we live in an apartment, I decided to not sing at the top of my lungs- okay never mind I did it anyway because I don't care. I got all the ingredients and put them on the counter. I am making him my special pancakes because it's a special day... andddd because it's the only thing I know how to cook. As I'm flipping the pancakes and singing at the top of my lungs, I turned around at the sound of keys jiggling in the door. Soon enough my dad entered with our dog, Thor.

"Hey peanut, are you cooking?" My dad asks with a curious grin.

"Mhm" I reply trying to catch my breath from all my singing. I continue flipping the pancakes until they're all made and bring them to the dining table. I look over to Thor who is now whining and whimpering when seeing the food. I sneak a piece over to him as I face towards my dad and ask "How was work?"

He curtly responds "Busy" while shoving another piece of food in his mouth. After all food is devoured, he turns to me with a sad smile. "I have something for you. Your mom wanted me to give it to you when you needed it." He then left and came back with a tiny box and thick envelope. He places them both on the table with the envelope right in front of me.

While opening the envelope I read the title which said "Saint Harrington's School of Elite's" and under written in bold said "Juliette Mancea accepted on full scholarship" I gasped and asked "Is this real?!"

My dad beamed out of his chai and said "Yes, I am so proud of you"

I squealed again "Ohmygod" and ran to my dad and hugged him. Remembering that I still had my moms gift to open, I went back to my seat and opened what seemed like a jewelry box and revealed a silver necklace with a sparkling music note at the end. I gasped at the beautiful jewelry in the box that I saw mom wear in on her last days.

Marie Mancea died wile giving birth to me, she was a healthy 27 year old with an amazing life

Marie Mancea died wile giving birth to me, she was a healthy 27 year old with an amazing life. During the epidural, she had an allergic reaction to the anesthetic that was used and soon died on the table. I almost died too but the doctors were fast enough to at least save one of us. James Mancea has been the best father and best friend I could ever ask for. Us and Thor moved to New York a few years ago for my dads new job.

"You start next Monday" James announced bringing me out of my trance.

I Turned around and hugged him when he replicated I smiled "Thank you dad. For everything." I could feel my eyes getting glossy.

He lifted my chin "Hey no tears he said" as he turned my around to place the necklace on my neck. I lifted my hand to play with the pendant. "You look beautiful" my dad breathed out. "Alright kiddo go to sleep, tomorrow is your last day at Edgewood High." My dad said and turned to go to his own room.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mancea is pronounced Man-see-ya

What do you think of the first thing I wrote?