Chapter Fifteen

"Lady Elluis of Tolkniat enters," declared two attendants as Elluis stomped her way into my private holding room. She barely bowed before she began, "Her Majesty, I've come to–"

"No."

"Her Majesty, I am a patient woman but—"

"Lady Elluis, do me a favor and shut the fuck up. I have no interest in hearing your marriage request for the hundredth time."

Finally, she dropped her facade.

Elluis snarled, "Your confidence is admirable for a whore's daughter."

"Hold your tongue," Sabre ordered as she gripped her sword's hilt, preparing to follow my command.

"Bow properly before the Queen of Montver."

"If I may offer you a word of advice," I spoke after Sabre.

"Think before you speak from that weaselly mouth of yours. I am not in the mood to indulge your stupidity today."

"You may be Montver's concubine, but you are nothing without the king. Royalty runs through my veins an—"

"How does it feel to know your beloved gains more pleasure from my money than he ever did with you?"

My words rubbed salt on her wounds. She pressed her thin hand over her breast then said, "You'll rue your decision. I promise!" I held Sabre's arm before she had a chance to unsheathe her sword.

"I disagree. It has been quite amusing watching you suffer thus far. It'll be more satisfying when you're back on Tolkniat soil where you belong."

"You bitch," Elluis growled as she stepped forward but stopped when Sabre's sword blocked her path. She responded smugly, "I look forward to the moment when the people of Montver come to their senses and burn you on the stake. You'll perish just like your whore of a mother!"

"Sabre, leave us," I demanded through clenched teeth.

"Queen Sigrid," she initially protested.

"Now."

Sabre hesitantly bowed and exited the room, leaving us alone. "Did I strike a nerve, wench?" Elluis sneered. She stood proudly now that her only threat left us alone in the room, or so she thought.

"It was a bit stuffy with your kitten in here. I'm glad yo—"

"Bow," I ordered.

"As if I'd ever respect a trifling human."

Elluis stiffened as I approached her. She could not read my reaction. She rushed into the offense and surged forward. I swiveled when she threw a low jab. She turned to me again and threw another high punch with twice as much force as the first. I shifted my weight to the side, propelling toward her while also evading her fist. Her eyes widened as my right hand dug into her neck. I pushed my hip inward, strengthening my stance as I used the momentum to throw her to the floor.

"I will not repeat myself."

I intercepted her attempt to get back on her feet and dug my heel into the back of her left knee. She screamed when her knee buckled, forcing her to the floor. "Dimikyrians aren't the only culture with women who can fight," I said while I bunched her braids in my fist. Elluis halted when the doors burst open, revealing Grendel accompanied by several royal guards and Sabre.

"Care to explain?" he pressed even though I did not make an effort to throw light on the situation.

As far as I was concerned, I was doing my job as I saw fit. "Do not ever speak of my mother again," I whispered in Elluis's ear as I loosened my grip on her hair.