Chapter Nineteen

Grendel's POV

Sigrid moved with unseeable speed. Chilly winds tussled my hair as she disappeared. I reached for Sangyr, but my hand gripped an empty scabbard.

Two twitching hands fell to the floor while Sigrid stabbed the unarmed guard. She plunged Sangyr through the woman's armor. She cut herself on her leg while removing it and slammed it on the ground beside the wailing handless woman. My wife clawed the guard's face with a taste of brutality that chilled me. Or was it arousal? I am not sure.

"We need this one alive," I whispered in her ears as I held her from behind. Her wreathing body thrashed within my arms, but I kept my grip. My skin temporarily stung as she sliced my forearms with her nails. "Sigrid?!" My voice did not reach her. She emitted low snarls and elbowed my chest, forcing me to call upon my darkness before she drew an audience. Shadows engulfed us, and Sigrid stilled from the sudden rush of movement. Her body melded to mine until we appeared from the trees.

"What happened?"

"I should be the one asking you that question," I said as I waited for my sword to reappear in my hand. Its weight comforted my worries, but it also reminded me of Sigrid's sudden outburst.

"You nearly mauled my guard," I informed her.

She shook her head in disagreement and partial confusion. "I-I don't understand," her soft murmur pulled me closer. I kneeled beside her and started lifting the sweat-dampened veil.

She pulled away, then said, "I need to be alone."

"As you wish," I relented despite the need for information.

I did not delve into the issue further that night, especially since we were barely on good terms with one another. Sigrid made her peace in her lonesome as I waited for her in the shadows. There was no way in Helheim I would leave her alone after the attack. Not after seeing her make sacrifices, she should not have to do as my wife and Queen.

Ochre's tree, though slightly scorched from the flames, stood proudly in the center of the market. Fifty heads dangled from the branches beside fruit blossoms and offerings as a reminder of Tolkniat's betrayal. A betrayal that surprisingly worked in my favor. Sigrid's garnered respect within the courts and popularity among the common folk. All while raising suspicions of Tolkniat implants within Montver. They killed two of their birds with one stone. As expected of a dimwitted idiot of a ruler.

"What of the rebel?"

Sabre twirled the knife in her hand. She answered as she caught the blade between her fingers, "She has not spoken a word other than her favorite phrases." There was no sign of magic compulsion for the attack. Deinoth made his first move, and his supporters responded to his removal. "Take her feet next," I said while shuffling the paperwork.

"Sigrid already handled her eyes and hands. Speaking of, where is my wife?"

"Where she usually is."

Sigrid kneeled over the empty garden plot with her fingers forced into the dirt. She murmured the spells repeatedly, yet it left her unsuccessful. Again, my wife tried and failed. "Beating it into submission is not going to convince the seedlings to grow," I said while she pounded her fist in the dirt.

She replied, "Don't you have arrangements to attend? Criminals, to punish?"

I kneeled beside her and carefully placed my hand over the dirt. Sigrid shied from the closeness as she lowered her head to shield herself with her veil. Delicate seedlings followed my touch over the loose dirt.

"So, you came to gloat?"

"What have I done to upset you, now?"

"Who said I was upset with you? I'm fine." Her tone said otherwise. She laced her words with blatant lies. She avoided me more than before. When we did exchange words, she primarily discussed her accomplished responsibilities with a dull tone. We had not stolen any kisses from each other since the days before the attack, and she wore her veils—which were suddenly longer and thicker than before—as if they were her second skin. She hid from everyone. Sabre had not seen her face in days, and I had not either. The newly sprouted seedlings wilted back into the ground from whence they came.

"Is this your punishment for my stubbornness? Sabre deliberately disobeyed the chain of command and put your life at risk to save her lover. I will not apologize for correcting her."

Sigrid turned to me. If not for her movement, I would not have known she faced me. "She saved Montver's Highest Court Mage: the woman who puts food on the tables of every single subject that calls you their King."

"A court mage's life is unimportant when compared to their Queen, Sigrid. What part of that do you not understand?" She was more valuable than a mage, sorcerer, guard, or shaman. Her life was far more valuable than mine.

"Sabre knew that all too well and stupidly acted on emotion."

"Where were you then?" She struck with her words. "If you were in her position, do you really think you'd let your lover die to save a useless fucking queen who can't even coax a damn seedling out the dirt?!" She clenched her fists before storming farther from the garden towards the woods.

I followed her, saying, "I busied myself with punishing Deinoth's bastards under the impression that you were in good hands, but Sabre let you dance with death."

"My gods," she groaned as she halted. "Is free will that uncommon to you Dimikyrians that you have no clue how to handle a woman who fights for herself?"

"You aren't just any woman; you're a bloody QUEEN. Whether you like it or not, there are rules in place that safeguard your life because it is the most valuable aspect of our country." I added harshly, "Are you so bothered by our union that you'd rather die by the hands of traitors?"

"Maybe I am."

"Don't lie."

"Oh, you're in no position to speak of lying."

Sigrid pressed a finger to my chest with each word. She learned quickly to hide her evasions, but I knew her more than she imagined. I grabbed both of her wrists then said, "Your lips disagreed days prior." She stopped her flailing as I leaned closer to her veiled face.

"What upsets you?"

"You. Now, begone," my wife huffed.

"You promised me honesty," I tsked and lifted the veil to see her face. She glared at me with glazed eyes. One of which was unnaturally black like a starless sky with a single cloudy iris. The other eye remained normal, though slightly bloodshot from hours of dedicated practice and spilling tears.

"Hm. It does seem strange," I said, examining her face. She slapped away my prying fingers.

"It happened when I blacked out."

Her condition had not improved since the night of the attack. But why did she feel the need to hide it when there was nothing physically wrong? Her vision remained intact, so as far as I am concerned, she was safe.

"It is hideous. Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like you want to devour me whole."

An odd eye meant little to me when I had a woman of quality at my side. Sigrid's temper livened the castle. Her wits bested the nobles until they groveled at her feet, begging for mercy. Her sense of justice and responsibility triumphed over court feats and theatrics. There was no other woman who could match me as Sigrid had.

"Maybe I do."

My muffled voice escaped between soft kisses to her neck. Those were her greatest weakness. She moved closer into my arms, then replied, "Even when I look like this?" she breathed.

"Especially when you look like that."