03. nightmare

Surrounded by darkness, the spotlight only was visible

Surrounded by darkness, the spotlight only was visible. The warm heated light shone over Eun Byul as she held her rosewood violin. She could hear the gentle sounds of the piano play a familiar melody.

Love's Sorrow, Liebesleid.

Turning her head, she saw Yeseo, closing her eyes, smiling, and happily playing the keys. Opening her eyes, her deep red bloodshot eyes stared straight into Eun byul's. The hair's behind her neck stood up as she felt Yeseo creep behind her back. The cold, dark, bitterness infiltrated the room.

"You killed me," she whispered deviously.

"I- I didn't mean to," Eun byul cried, "I'm sorry Yeseo. I'm so sorry."

"You killed me!" she laughed maniacally.

"YOU KILLED ME!"

"YOU KILLED ME!"

"YOU KILLED ME!"

**

"I'M SORRY!" Eun byul screamed jolting from her bed.

Rapid footsteps approached her door as her parents busted it open.

"Eun byul are you okay?" her mother asked frantically, "We heard you screaming."

Breaking out into sobs she buried her head into her hands.

"It happened again," Eun byul hiccuped, "Mom, I shouldn't have played the violin in the first place. If I hadn't touched that cursed instrument none of this would have happened."

"Shhh don't say that," her mother cradled Eun byul in her arms, "It's all in the past now. I don't want you to worry about this anymore. Please, Eun byul, please just rest."

Eun byul's soft sobs continued as she then fell asleep from exhaustion. Walking out of her room, Eun byul's mother sighed and gently closed the door.

"Honey, what are we going to do?" she exclaimed, distressed, "It's been going on for 2 years already. I know she's traumatized, but how much longer is this going to last?"

"I know Mirae, I know," her father whispered, embracing his wife, "We've tried medication, psychiatrist, and a therapist. Let's just wait a little longer. A little longer and hopefully our Eun byul will get better."

"I pray so."

**

Back at school, Eun byul focused on her studies and listening to the teachers' lectures... at least she tried to. She could feel the eyes of Heeseung following her, wherever she went. If anything, Heeseung was staring at her deliberately, hoping she would get annoyed and talk to him. Of course, he would use that chance to get her to play the violin again. And luckily, his plan worked.

Eun byul was standing in the hallway, looking through the windows of the music room. She could see the gorgeous black Yamaha grand piano standing in the middle of the room.

"Cha Eun byul," a voice whispered.

"Lee Heeseung!" she gasped, almost punching his face, "What the hell?!"

"Heh, sorry," he smiled sheepishly with that pretty smile of his, "Why are you looking at the music room?"

"Why do you care?" Eun byul questioned with frustration, "Why does anything I do matter to you? You've been staring at me all day and have not left me alone for a single second! Deadass you're a creep and I want you to stop. Lee Heeseung I barely even know you."

"Sorry, Cha Eun byul. I really am, but I want to ask you something in return. Once you answer it, I'll stop bothering you," he said.

"Sure, whatever," Eun byul sighed.

"Why won't you play the violin with me? I mean, you were a renowned violinist back in the day."

Eun byul bit the bottom of her lip, hearing his words, "Come with me."

Leading him to a more quiet and isolated location outside of the school, she let out an irritated sigh and stared at him dead in the eyes.

"Listen, Lee Heeseung, clearly you know a lot about my past. I moved here to get away from Seoul, okay? I didn't come for a person to haunt me about something I don't want to remember. My parents and I made sure not a single person knew about me and the world of Korean classical musicians. Every single student in this building has no idea that I was some hotshot violinist," Eun byul snapped, "I won't play the violin for personal reasons and I don't plan on pursuing it ever or playing with you."

Eun byul turned around and began walking back into the school building for her next class.

"But don't you miss it? Don't you miss playing the violin? Even after that incident, there's no way you would've quit for good," Heeseung shouted.

She turned back around, storming to him, "Of course I miss it! But that instrument has caused me misery. And I promised her that I wouldn't play again. That was my punishment."

"Are you really going to let one person stop you? Stop you from what you love and want the most? Don't you think it's time to move on and pursue something you had really damn well?" he asked, seriously.

"I promised the mom of my best friend that I would never play the violin again. It was all my fault I killed her. If only..." Eun byul's voice broke, "If only I didn't treat her so badly, things would've been better. Do you understand how terrifying that is? Someone who considered you as their best friend, later on, committed suicide because of you? Heeseung, do you no get why I don't want to play still? I can't do this to Yeseo or her mom."

"Then, why don't you make this your final appearance," Heeseung proposed.

"What?"

"I'm sure you're itching to perform. So, let's participate in this festival competition. If we win the talent show, let's enter the Seoul National Music Competition."

"Heeseung, you're crazy," Eun byul scoffed, "You know I haven't touched the violin in 2 years."

"I'm taking that as a maybe leaning towards a yes," he smiled, "See you later, Eun byul."

As Heeseung ran away, Eun byul crouched down smacking her head, "What the hell was I thinking or saying? I barely know him and I told him too much. Now I have to play? Or do I really want to play? Ugh, what have I got myself into?"

She felt a light tap on her shoulder and turned her head, facing Jongseong. Her eyes opened widely in panic as she stood up quickly.

"Jongseong? What are you doing here?" Eun byul's voice slightly quivered.

"Eun byul, is there something bothering you?"