08. loss for words

"Heeseung, where are you taking me?" Eun byul questioned as she staggered behind the tall boy

The school day ended quicker than anticipated and as soon as Heeseung heard the school bell ring, he grabbed Eun byul by the arm, running out of the building.

"You'll see," he smiled gleefully and continued to run.

From the top of the school's windows, Jongseong saw the two run away in a hurry. Slightly hurt, he tried to ignore the fact Eun byul left without telling him anything.

"It's her life," he thought to himself, "I shouldn't be bothered by anything. I'll just let her be."

Jongseong left the third floor of the school and headed over to the pool behind the track. After getting out of the locker rooms, he quickly dove into the water trying to get away from his worries.

"I need to focus on improving my time so I can help our school and get a scholarship for college. It's my last year and I shouldn't be worrying about a girl."

After making his second lap around the pool, he was greeted by the faces of Jaeyun and Sunghoon.

"You're too slow this time," Sunghoon muttered looking at the stopwatch.

"Yeah you were 4 seconds late this time," Jaeyun added, "You're screwed if you don't pick it up. Plus, you're the fastest swimmer for freestyle so if we do badly on the relay..." Jaeyun's voice trailed off as he eyed Jongseong.

"Sorry guys," Jongseong sighed, getting out of the pool, "I've been-"

"Getting annoyed because Eun byul doesn't talk to you anymore ever since she ditched you for the city boy," Sunghoon exclaimed bluntly.

"No," Jongseong snapped, feeling his face heat up.

"Bruh, ever since Eun byul stopped coming to our practices, your times have been getting worse and worse," Jaeyun said.

"Okay, fine, maybe I'm a little bothered," Jongseong admitted, "I just don't know what to say to her, but I don't want to distance myself from either."

"Bestie, you already distanced yourself," Jaeyun sighed, "If you really care for her that much, fix your relationship with Eun byul. Ask her to hang out after school or go see a movie or something."

"So like a date?" Jongseong questioned, skeptical about Jaeyun's idea.

"Whatever you want to call it," Sunghoon said, "Just don't go crazy, you know. We know how eccentric and excited you get."

**

"The train station?" Eun byul raised her brow, "Heeseung?"

"Trust me," Heeseung said, "Besides, I already got tickets."

"For what? What kind of tickets could you possibly get for a Wednesday evening?" she asked, exasperated.

"Recital ones," he responded, "Now hurry, we're going to be late!"

She followed behind Heeseung as they arrived on the platform and walked onto the train. Before she knew it, Eun byul was back in Seoul, standing in the middle of the city, giving Heeseung a death glare.

"Heeseung, I swear to god-"

"Eun byul don't kill me yet," he pleaded jokingly, "Come on, let's get to the recital hall."

**

Going through the revolving doors and entering the grand hallway furnished with ornate carvings and chandeliers, Heeseung and Eun byul entered the auditorium. Bulletins were handed to the two of them before they took their seats. They sat in the center of the room as more people began to fill up the remaining seats.

"I have to use the bathroom," he whispered, getting up, "I'll be back soon."

She nodded barely listening to his words.

"What the hell was this guy thinking," Eun byul thought with frustration, "Why did I follow him in the first place? Wait- thinking about it, I didn't even follow him, he practically kidnapped me."

The lights began to dim and a host walked out to the stage.

"Where on earth is Heeseung? Did he have to take a shit?"

"Good evening," the man exclaimed, "Welcome to the 50th annual Seoul piano recital. We are extremely pleased to have you all here tonight and excited for you to hear our 15 different pianists. They've worked extremely hard for this occasion. We would like to thank your sponsors for today's recital and we hope you enjoy the show."

"What's taking him so long?" Eun byul questioned herself as the audience clapped.

The first pianist walked onto the stage who looked rather young. She wore a long, square neck, periwinkle, dress and had her hair tied on a half pony. The young girl arrived at the piano, took a bow, and began her piece.

Opening up the bulletin, Eun byul looked at the young pianists.

"Kim Yerim, age 13," she read, "Kim Yerim has been playing piano since age 3 and has won two international competitions."

Yerim began playing the piano and the soft melody of Chopin's Nocturne Op. 27, No. 2 in D-flat major began.

"It's been a while since I've been to one of these," Eun byul thought, "But right off the bat, I could tell this girl is a little nervous. Her tempo is off. It's impressive that she won some titles, but a rookie mistake like this would get her out in qualifiers."

She flipped through the bulletin that was handed to her earlier and a few pianists caught her.

"Huh, Yang Jungwon? It's been a while since I've seen him. Looks like he's a popular pick since he didn't do too well this season. The highest he got was 2nd? Hm... that's strange since he's a highly advanced pianist."

Flipping through a little more, Eun byul's eyes opened wide.

"Wow... Lee Heeseung is really something else," she muttered in amusement.

The last page of the bulletin revealed a picture of Lee Heeseung who was the closing performer of the recital.

------------------------------------------------------

A/N: sike besties! i said I would be more inactive bc of prep but I wrote a whole chapter in the car

also thank you so much for 100+ reads 💓