26. gold medal blues

Finally, the day of the Gyeongsangnam-do boys' high school swim team competition for nationals arrived

Finally, the day of the Gyeongsangnam-do boys' high school swim team competition for nationals arrived. These were the top high schools in all of South Korea and the team was not going to lose. It was the first time in over 20 years since Gyeongsangnam-do made it to nationals. The overwhelming humidity of the indoor pool and excitement and frigid tensions illuminated.

"Our starting lineup for the boys' team will be Jongseong doing 100m freestyle, Jaeyun doing 100m butterfly, Sunghoon and Beomgyu doing 100m breaststroke, and Yeonjun doing 100m backstroke. The 400m mixed relay will be Jongseong, Jaeyun, Sunghoon, and Yeonjun. Today will be a good day boys. Stay focused and we're getting that national title," their coach exclaimed, holding his fist up enthusiastically.

"Ready on 3. 1, 2, 3, Gyeongsangnam-do Swim let's go! Fighting!" Yeonjun cheered.

"Fighting!" They all shouted fiercely.

**

"Heeseung, we're going to be late! Jongseong said their competition starts at 10 am and he's scheduled to be in the third heat," Eun byul puffed as the two jogged to the bus stop.

The plan for Heeseung and Eun byul was to wake up by 8 am so they could catch the 8:30 am bus, arrive around 9 am, and have enough time to walk around the vicinity of the Seoul Olympic Swimming Pool. However, plans never went accordingly whenever Eun byul with Heeseung. Everything went downhill when Heeseung woke up at 9:30.

"I'm sorry, my body just wouldn't wake up," he sighed running behind Eun byul. She was way faster than him despite the fact she was carrying a big navy blue backpack.

"That's such a lame excuse. You wouldn't even wake up when I pulled the blanket off you and opened the curtains. Now, we're going to be late. We should at least be supportive of our high school, you know. It's the first time they've made it to nationals for any kind of sport in so long."

"Since when did you care?" Heeseung questioned as they made it to the bus stop, finally.

"I don't, but it means a lot to Jongseong and I'm his friend. If I'm his friend that means I should care about his passions, right?" she exclaimed.

**

10:45 am

Jongseong stared at the clock and the bleachers. Eun byul was nowhere in sight. He was slightly discouraged because he had a tinge of hope she'd come to see him compete. But now was the time he shouldn't worry about a girl. He was in the next heat and began preparing himself. With his swim cap and goggles, he stepped on top of the starting block. Along with his other competitors, he bent down into his ready position, waiting for the pistol to go off. The pool was so silent you could hear a pin drop.

"Swimmers on your marks... get set... go," the sound of the pistol alerted the swimmers to start going.

Each one of the competitors dove off in synchronization. The sound of water splashing was like raging waves from a storm. Jongseong from the start had a good start and was in the lead. For the first time, he felt a sort of anger and disappointment with Eun byul. He made it so clear he cared for her, but she never did anything in return. He had learned to accept that she doesn't have any romantic emotions for him, but at least she could have shown up as a friend.

Before he knew it, Jongseong made it back to the start, breaking his own personal record and school record. The leaderboard showed that he was currently in first place with a time of 47.31 seconds. He huffed and puffed, trying to catch his breath. He stared down in disappointment at the water, ignoring the fact that such an achievement happened for Gyeongsangnam-do. Sunghoon and Jaeyun approached him, Jaeyun gave his hand to Jongseong to climb out of the pool.

"Jongseong, look at the leaderboard!" Sunghoon exclaimed, shaking the dazed boy's shoulders, "You broke our school record and your personal one!"

"Hello, Jongseong?" Jaeyun questioned, waving his hand in front of Jongseong's face, "Bro, are you good?"

He didn't respond. He was quite silent. Jongseong looked around the vicinity of the pool and glanced at the leaderboard. There, his name was at the top. His eyes made their way to the bleachers. He saw a short girl with a giant poster in neon letters with his name. Eun byul.

"Jongseong, why are you zoning out-" Sunghoon started to say before Jaeyun redirected his vision to the bleachers.

"She came," Jongseong grinned.

But his broad grin quickly disappeared once he saw a familiar figure appear behind her. Heeseung.

**

Before everyone knew it, the competition was over. Surprisingly, the Gyeongsangnam-do boy's team had an overwhelming win. Getting 1st place and 2nd place in every event. The medal ceremony was glorious for the boys and the school. Jongseong beamed broadly with his gold medal and certificate of 1st place on the podium. Once everyone had finished, the boys returned to their locker rooms to get their belongings and change back into their tracksuits.

Just as Jongseong zipped up his windbreaker, he felt a buzz in the pocket of his pants. He pulled his phone out and received dozens of messages from Eun byul.

Eun byul: Jongseong! You did amazing today! I'm so proud of you!

Eun byul: Heeseung and I are waiting outside the pool. Come meet us by the flagpole

"Guys, I'll catch up with you in a bit. I'm going to step out for a moment," Jongseong said, grabbing his duffle bag and heading out of the locker room.

"He's so down for her," Jaeyun whispered to Sunghoon.

**

Looking around the outside of the pool's surroundings, Jongseong searched for Eun byul, quickly finding her. She waved to him excitedly. Jongseong's face lit up as he approached her.

"Jongseong-ah! You did so well! I saw you in the lead the whole time," she smiled, "I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you.  I was getting worried that you weren't going to make it," he joked.

Jongseong's eyes moved to look to see where Heeseung went since he wasn't by Eun byul. Where could he have gone?

"Sorry for getting here so late. I was hoping to get here earlier, but Heeseung slept in," she sighed with slight frustration, "He doesn't wake up no matter what I do. Sorry, Jongseong."

"That's okay. At least you made it. It means a lot to me," he exclaimed comforting her, "Speaking of Heeseung, where did he go?"

"I'm right here," Heeseung interrupted.

Jongseong turned around and saw Heeseung holding a bouquet.

"These are for you," Heeseung said curtly, handing him the flowers, "Congrats."

"Thanks," Jongseong mumbled.

"What's with the energy," Eun byul butted in between the two, "This is supposed to be a celebratory moment. You guys are so unenthusiastic. Be nice to each other, huh?"

Heeseung stuck his hand out, for Jongseong to shake it. "Fine then. Let's be good to each other."

Jongseong hesitantly shook his hand only to feel a painfully tight grip around his hand. He felt an irk of irritation as he glared at Heeseung.

"Fine. Let it be that way."

-----------------------------------------

a/n: I'm back! Thank you so much for your patience and for continuing to support and read "Lonely Sounds." As you may know, I took a break from writing and decided to start a small project. I recently finished "When the Primrose Blooms" which is a spin-off of "The Impossible is Possible." If you guys are interested in reading that book, then go for it :)

I'm not sure when the next chapter of this story will be updated, but I'm glad that so many of you are enjoying this!! I love you all <3