09. the world shakes

Time passed by slowly as each pianist finished up their long pieces

Time passed by slowly as each pianist finished up their long pieces. Feeling sleepier as each person played, Eun byul waited patiently for Heeseung to play.

"Now before we conclude the recital, our last performer, Lee Heeseung, has a few words," the host said.

As Heeseung walked out onto the stage, applause filled the room.

"Thank you," he exclaimed over the microphone, "Before I close up, I would like to thank a few people. First my family for being so supportive over this career. I couldn't have gotten this far without them. Secondly, my piano instructor, Mrs. Ryu, I am forever grateful for your guidance and for helping me achieve my dreams. Lastly, one girl who refuses to believe she's an inspiration. I've seen her since I was little, going to every one of her competitions. All I could think was wow, she's so amazing I want to play with her."

Eun byul let out a small scoff as she continued to listen to Heeseung's speech.

"Not many of you know, but this will be my last performance as a solo pianist."

Gasps and whispers could be heard all around the auditorium. The great Lee Heeseung quitting as a soloist? No way!

"However, this will not be the end of my career. Now, please relax and enjoy as I play Sonata in E Minor 'Night Wind,' Op. 25, No. 2."

"What an unorthodox choice," Eun byul thought, "I thought he would've picked something from the romantic or baroque period."

He walked over to the grand piano and placed his fingers over the glossy white piano keys. The opening of the piece was strong but sounded somewhat lonely. It seemed as if Heeseung's playing was missing something. He was playing each note with perfection yet the empty melody continued. That is until he made it to the second part of the score. His fingers moved quickly along the tiles playing all the eighth notes and slurs.

"He's ignoring the score," Eun byul sighed, making a disgruntled face, "What on Earth is he doing? I get that this is just a recital, but his brazen playing will get him out of a preliminary round if it were a real competition. How does he expect us to play together?"

He continued to play and slightly smirked.

"You're surprised, aren't you, Cha Eun byul?"

**

After the recital...

People began to exit the recital hall and Eun byul impatiently waited for Heeseung by his dressing room. Every few seconds, she would anxiously check the time on her phone. Finally, the door opened.

"Oh, Eun byul, you're here!" Heeseung smiled at the unamused girl.

"Dude, you literally tricked me into coming to Seoul, we only have 10 minutes til the last train leaves, and you didn't tell me anything about you playing the piano today! Lee Heeseung, are you out of your mind?"

Heeseung let out a loud laugh as Eun byul stared at him wildly.

"I mean they don't call me spontaneous for no reason," he smirked.

"Heeseung," Eun byul rolled her eyes, "I-"

"Heeseung sunbaenim," a voice interrupted.

The two's faces shifted to the voice. There they faced a familiar face, a boy in a black and white tuxedo, Yang Jungwon.

"Oh, Jungwon. Do you need something?"

"What do you mean by saying this was your last performance? It can't possibly be true! It's too early for you to retire," Jungwon exclaimed with a tone of confusion.

Heeseung let out a soft chuckle, "Jungwon, if you didn't hear, I said this wouldn't be the end of me. I'm going to play with her."

Eun byul eyed Heeseung as if he was crazy.

"What on Earth is he thinking? I thought we weren't going to tell anyone for a while?" she thought in disbelief.

Jungwon turned his head to the girl, "Cha Eun byul... wait is it really you?"

She nodded her head, "Long time no see, Jungwon."

"Wait... if you're coming back... wait- Heeseung sunbaenim is going to be your accompanist?!"

"Bingo," Heeseung happily exclaimed.

"Sunbae, are you insane? Why would you end your career like this? You're going to be an accompanist for a girl who hasn't played for 2 years, no offense Eun byul noona."

"Noona?" Heeseung tilted his head.

"Family friends back in my competition days. His older sister plays violin," Eun byul explained.

"I see. But anyhow, I do want to play with Eun byul and it will happen. I'll make sure that nothing goes wrong and we'll both have the best experience."

But who knew Heeseung's little confession was going to shake Eun byul's whole world.