32. intimidation

"Eun byul, sometimes you just need to shut up and trust the process

"Eun byul, sometimes you just need to shut up and trust the process."

The girl was stunned and felt her face heat up with embarrassment. How Heeseung had caught her off guard. Eun byul quickly turned around and ran out the door, slamming it shut and had her fingers on her lips.

"He's crazy," she thought to herself, "How could he just kiss me out of nowhere."

For the rest of the competition, Eun byul tried to stay away from Heeseung. She had no idea what to say to him after that incident or didn't bother to go back to the dressing room. Eun byul was still in her performance gown and decided to sit by herself and listen to the rest of the competition to prevent herself from replaying the scenario she was just in.

Taehyun and Jungwon were called to the stage. Taehyun walked to the center of the stage, under the spotlight, and Jungwon at the piano. Eun byul could already sense the passion coming from Taehyun as he radiated a red aura. Taehyun started with a loud and long downward stroke from his bow. The sound illuminated the theatre, making Eun byul's eyes open wide. There was something incredibly different in his playing just by that one note. The single sound ended up going into a glorious melody as Jungwon played perfectly with Taehyun. Jungwon made no mistakes and made sure Taehyun remained the star of the performance.

"Brahms' Violin Sonata No. 1 in G Major, Op. 78," Eun byul thought as they continued to play with effortless grace.

**

From behind the stage, Eunmi and Soobin were up next. Eunmi paced back and forth as she wasn't expecting such an impressive performance from Eun byul. She was biting the edge of her thumb as Soobin watched her.

"Eunmi, you need to calm down," he exclaimed.

"Soobin, we have to perfect this piece. I haven't heard Eun byul play like that in my whole entire life. Back when she was younger she played perfectly to the score, but this time when she played it sounded like she was going to destroy everyone who came in her path. I can't lose her. Not again. I have never won a competition against my younger sister," Eunmi was panicking.

Soobin grabbed Eunmi's shoulders and looked at her. Eunmi's pupils were quivering which almost made her seem mentally ill. He could see that she bit her thumb too hard and there was blood at the tip of her finger.

"You need to go in with the mentality of winning," he exclaimed firmly, "Besides, you got a perfect score last round and she was almost in last place. Don't let your sister get to you."

"It's her accompanist," Eunmi muttered, "He's what's changing her. He's unleashing the monster that she was hiding for all these years."

Soobin froze as he felt his hands shake. He knew Eunmi wasn't wrong after his experience competing against Heeseung. Heeseung and Soobin had been rivals for as long as time could tell. It was always a battle between the two, but Heeseung was always the better one. And now that he was an accompanist in a violin competition, it felt as if Heeseung declared war on Soobin once more. He was not going to let Heeseung beat him again.

"Eunmi, we are not going to mess this up because of them, okay? We're older than them and have more experience. There is no way they are going to beat us. We're going to get first place."

**

Jungwon and Taehyun finished the sonata with perfection. The audience grandly applauded the duo as they both took a bow and left the stage. They certainly left a lasting impression as Eunmi and Soobin was called up to the stage.

Eun byul slumped in her seat as she viewed her sister coming from the side of the stage in a black dress and Soobin in a black and white suit. The audience clapped for their arrival and in anticipation to hear their magnificent performance. The couple readied themselves as there was a long pause before Eunmi began. From dramatic rapid bow movements, Eun byul could immediately tell by the first 3 notes that she was playing Mozart's Sonata in A major, K. 305.

"Doesn't she seem tense and unconfident?" Eun byul smirked to herself.

Though it was incredibly unobvious to the audience, Eun byul could immediately tell. There was a dramatic shift in how she played the preliminary round. From her bold brazen playing, Eunmi sounded defeated in her playing. As they continued playing, Eunmi's eyes opened widely in fear she heard Soobin's tempo was slightly faster than hers. Eunmi panicked as she looked back at Soobin, trying to notify him to slow down.

"Shit, we're losing so many points today."

Eunmi and Soobin wrapped up their performance strongly, but there was a strong sense of dejection as they walked back.

"Eunmi, I am so sor-"

"Soobin, just save it," Eunmi whispered, "It doesn't matter if you apologize or not. I don't know if we're even going to make it past round 1 now."

And with a few more contestants, round 1 of the competition was officially over. Eun byul felt somewhat more excited and awaited the results as she felt that she did better than Eunmi. Moments later, the list of the qualifying 12 violinists for round 1 came out. There Eun byul climbed the ranks and had a score of 92.

Round I Scores

1. Kang Taehyun - 98
2. Kim Sunoo - 95
3. Cha Eun byul - 92 
4. Oh Hana - 91
5. Cha Eunmi - 88
6. Oh Seulgi - 88
7. Lee Sora - 88
8. Jung Hansol - 87
9. Noh Jeongin - 87
10. Lee Jong Soo - 87
11. Ji Sihyun - 86
12. Park Dongmin - 86