4: Clocks, Home, & Harry Styles

-Amber-

I place Harry’s neatly wrapped gift beneath the Christmas tree, a sad smile visible on my lips. Christmas was in an hour and I still hadn’t heard from him. My worry has increased so much that my eyes begin to water. I blink away the tears as I settle down on my couch. My eyes linger towards my mother’s large clock. I watch the hands move slowly, the music playing in the background being silenced by the ticking of the clock.

Tick-tock.

Tick-tock.

“Maybe you should go off to bed.” My father appears beside me, his hand falling onto my shoulder. “Your eyes are red.”

I shake my head, not removing my eyes from the clock. “I’ll go to bed at midnight when Harry arrives.”

“Sweetie,” Dad sighs, but I cut him off.

“He’ll get here.” I say, trying to convince myself more than my father. “He will.”

Father sighs, a sympathetic looks in his eyes. “He’ll get here.” Dad repeats. “But whenever he does, a real man always has an explanation.” Leaning down, my father plants a kiss on my forehead. “Merry Christmas, Sweetheart.”

“But it’s not Christmas yet.” I point out.

“I know.” Dad smiles. “But still, Merry Christmas.” With another kiss to my forehead, Dad turns around and walks away, a yawn escaping his lips as he does so. I return my eyes to the clock, watching as the small arrow neared the twelve. Though I didn’t want to admit it, I’d lost hope a long time ago. A part of me knew Harry wasn’t going to be here on time. He would have called or texted or something. I knew that whatever the problem, Harry had a good explanation. It was just a bit saddening to know that I won’t be spending every inch of the holiday with the one I loved.

And the minute the clock struck midnight, I looked away, ignoring the single tear running down my cheek.

He wasn’t here.

Swallowing my tears, I stand up. I’d told my dad I’d be going to bed at midnight and that’s exactly what I was doing. Wrapping my arms around myself, I head back to my room. I close the door behind me and climb beneath my covers after turning off the lights. It didn’t feel like Christmas. Not without Harry at least.

Managing not to cry, I find myself eventually drifting off to sleep, all hope gone from within me.

-Harry-

I’m sitting on the plane awake as the rest of the lads slept. There was nothing but silence as I stared down at my wristwatch and slowly watched the small hand reach the twelve. It’s official. I wasn’t making it home in time. I couldn’t be there with Amber to watch the clock strike midnight.

I silently sigh, leaning my head back. Two mores until the plane landed. If I wanted time to go by quickly my only option was going off to sleep. After all, I was knackered. It was Amber and the thought of not being with her at the moment that was keeping me up.

I keep the thoughts, but close my eyes. The same thing that was keeping me up was the same thing that helped me sleep. I think of her blue/green eyes, perfect blonde curls, and flawless smile and find myself smiling. Two hours, I think. Just two more hours.

-     -     -

When the plane landed, the boys and I went our separate way after promising to meet up later in the day. Pulling my coat tighter around me, I see my mum standing by her car. She grins the minute she sees me, running up to wrap her arms around me. I hug her back.

“Hey, Mum.” I smile, feeling right at home in that arms of the woman who gave birth to me. Her smile widens as kisses my cheek and runs her fingers through my curls.

“Oh, Harry, how I’ve missed you!” She exclaims. “You’re looking even more charming every day. I remember when you were just a-”

I cut her off. “Mum, really?” I chuckle. “It’s two a.m., it’s cold, and I’m knackered.”

“I’m sorry.” She pats my cheek and hop into the passenger seat as she takes the driver’s.

“To Amber’s, right?” Mum asks as she pulls out of the driveway. “Don’t you think she may already be in bed?”

I shrug, leaning back in the seat. “If she is, then at least I’ll be there when she wakes up.”

“You love her.” Mum states. “A lot.”

“More than a lot.” I smile at the thought. “She’s my everything.”

Mum doesn’t respond, she just continues to smile as she turns on the radio. I don’t recognize the song that’s playing, but the voice is familiar. It’s a Christmas song; a Christmas song that couldn’t be more relevant.

“I’m praying that you make it home tonight,
So we can lay down by the fireside
You and I
‘till Christmas morning.
There’s nothing else that I want this year
More than just to have you here
I’ll be waiting
Waiting under the mistletoe
While you’re driving here through the winter snow
Baby, think of me if it helps to get you home...”

It’s past three a.m. when I arrive at Amber’s. I leave my mum with a ‘Merry Christmas’ and kiss on the cheek. The minute I stepped up on Amber’s porch, the door bursts open without giving me a chance to knock. Instead of Amber, her father stands there. He smiles at the sight of me, his eyes red and tired.

“Harry.” He nods, motioning for me to come inside. “It’s nice to see you.”

“Nice seeing you too, Mr.Skywood.” I smile back, shrugging off my coat as he shuts the door behind me. “My plane was delayed.” I begin to explain to him my reason for not being here at the promised time. “Snowstorm in New York. The lads and I were locked in the airport for hours without signal.”

“I understand.” Mr.Skywood assures. “Would you like a cup of tea?”

“That sounds lovely.” I accept the offer. Mr.Skywood saunters towards the kitchen and begins to prepare my tea, a yawn escaping his lips every now and then.

“How’s Amber been?” I ask, trying to make conversation.

“She’s been absolutely wonderful.” Her dad tells me, a proud look in his eyes. “But she’s missing you. I’ve never seen a girl love a man the way Amber loves you.”

I chuckle. “To think that love was once hate.” I mumble, a memory of the run-in that started it all appearing in my head.

*

“Amber?” I raise an eyebrow, squinting at her.

Her face pales. “Excuse me.” She turns away, her eyes searching the room for a quick escape, but I block her, a smirk on my lips.

“What do you want, Harry?” She snaps, probably cursing her decision to come to this party.

“Nothing.” I shrug, still smirking. “It’s just...I haven’t seen you in years. You’ve changed.”

“Have I?” Bitterness rolls off her tongue.

I chuckle. “Very much so. Though I see I’m still capable of getting under your skin.”

“Very much so.” She mimics. I could tell by the look on her face that she never thought she’d see me again. In fact, I’m sure she never wanted to see me again.

“Care dance?” I hold out my hand, teasing her. I know she never liked me and obviously nothing’s changed. At least the feeling is mutual.

“Never.” She snaps, pushing past me.

“I take it back.” I call after her. “You haven’t changed a bit!”

*

I can’t help but laugh at the memory, realizing how much things have really changed. If I ask for a dance now, I’m sure I’d get it without a second thought.

“Here you go.” Mr.Skywood hands me a small cup of tea. “Careful.” He warns. “It’s hot.”

“Thank you.” I thank him.

“Anytime.” He smiles followed by another yawn. “When you’re done, feel free to settle down in Amber’s room. She’s asleep, but I know my daughter. She sleeps on the edge of her bed all wrapped up in that blanket of hers.”

I can’t help but gape at him. I’ve never met a father who’s allowed their daughter’s boyfriend to get in bed with her. That is until today.

“Sir, I’m sure that couch is-”

He cuts me off, tiredly chuckling. “Harry, I’m not your everyday father.” He reaches over and squeezes my shoulder. “Go spend the rest of the night with my daughter.”

Smiling, I nod. “Thank you, Sir. I will.”

“Good.” Giving my shoulder one last squeeze, he lets go. “I must go get back in bed with my wife now. Have a goodnight, Harry.”

“You too, Sir.”

And with that, he disappears down the hall and into his room. I lean against the counter and finish my cup of tea. I was glad to be here; to be home. Yes, I know this wasn’t technically my home, but it felt like it. Anywhere Amber was was home to me.

I wash the cup and place it beside the sink before heading to Amber’s room. I push the door open softly and step inside. Sure enough, she was fast asleep on the edge of her bed, her blanket pulled tightly around her. I smile to myself and close the door, slipping out of my shoes and pulling my shirt off over my head.

I slide in beside her and she doesn’t even stir, her eyes remaining closed. I allow my arm to slip around her, the feeling of my skin on hers creating a biiss I only ever experienced when I was around her. I bring my lips to her cheek, kissing it tenderly and gently.

“I love you.” I whisper, pulling her closer. Though she was asleep, I knew what her response would be. It was the same thing I’d reply if she’d said to me.

“I love you.” I repeat, closing my eyes. “Merry Christmas, love.”
____________________________________________

Author's Note: FINALLY! :) Just one more chapter left! Sorry I'm slow /: I'm honestly verrrrrry busy.  I hope you liked this chapter. Please vote, comment, and fan and DONT FORGET to vote for LC&HS in the Watty Awards under Fan Fiction :) xx THANK YOU LOADS <3