The Talk

A/N: This is all Bucky's POV.

***

She wasn't at her apartment.

But I was determined to speak to her. To apologize for everything that she had to endure because of me. I owed her that much and more.

I decided to wait for her after she hadn't answered when I knocked, sitting on the steps that lead to her building and trying to think of what I could possibly say to her. And also hoping that finding me waiting for her outside of her apartment wouldn't upset her.

An hour passed and I briefly thought about leaving, going back to the compound and asking Steve for her phone number to call instead; when I heard the sound of laughter approaching on the otherwise quiet street. I looked up to find her coming down the sidewalk, with a woman at her side, their arms linked together, laughing happily. My heart started to race the moment she noticed me, her eyes locking with mine and the smile slipping right off her face, the laughter dying in her throat. She looked stunned to see me there, her footsteps halting and forcing her friend to stop along with her. I rose slowly, feeling nervousness sweep through me, adjusting my jacket and pushing my hair from my face. I nodded to her friend in greeting, not wanting to be rude, and looked back to Jade.

"Hi...Jade," I said, my voice soft and almost unsteady. "Can...Can we talk?"

"Y-Yeah, sure," she stuttered nodding slowly. She looked to her friend at her side. "Iris, can you give us a minute?"

"Yeah, of course, I'll just be upstairs if you need me." She gave Jade's arm a squeeze before releasing her and heading for the doors. "It's good to see you again, Mr. Metal," she said cheerily, winking at me as she passed.

I felt a confused frown cross my lips as she breezed past me. Mr. Who?

She didn't wait for me to respond, smirking at me before she went up the steps quickly and disappeared inside. I turned back to find Jade watching me, a hesitant smile on her full lips. Those damn butterflies were swarming in my stomach and I swallowed hard.

"Should we sit?" She asked motioning to the steps behind me.

"Oh, sure," I said stepping back and allowing her to sit first. I sat beside her, a comfortable distance away, not wanting to encroach on her space.

A silence fell over us, an uncomfortable one, that mixed with a sudden tension I felt at being near her. My body was practically tingling, calling to hers, the urge to wrap my arms around her and hug her close nearly too strong to ignore. My brain may have lost her somehow, but my body had not. It knew her and there was a desire there, one that couldn't come from anything other than an intimacy we had previously shared. I did my best to ignore it, went over what I wanted to say to her, wondering how to start, to make things right, but she spoke first.

"You know my name," she said. "And where I live..."

"Steve, he told me... everything," she frowned and looked down. "I know you didn't want him too, but I didn't give him much of a choice."

"So you still don't remember anything?" There was a hint of sadness to her voice.

"No," I answered seeing the way the disappointment shined in her eyes when she looked up at me again. "But I want too," I added quickly.

"I want you to, too," she said softly.

I wanted to reach out and touch that blush on her cheeks then, to rub my thumb across that skin of hers that I knew would be soft to the touch. I could see why I had liked her, she was definitely easy on the eyes, with a sweet demeanor, and if everything that Steve had said was true, then she had already endured more for me than any other person had. Well aside from Steve. Despite not being able to remember her, how could I not like her knowing all of that?