06 | don't blame yourself

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝘋𝘖𝘕'𝘛 𝘉𝘓𝘈𝘔𝘌 𝘠𝘖𝘜𝘙𝘚𝘌𝘓𝘍

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗
𝘋𝘖𝘕'𝘛 𝘉𝘓𝘈𝘔𝘌 𝘠𝘖𝘜𝘙𝘚𝘌𝘓𝘍

━━━ TO SAY THE TRIP IN THE SPARE JET TO WHEREVER TONY AND THE OTHER AVENGERS WERE WAS QUIET WOULD BE A TOTAL UNDERSTATEMENT. Not a single soul in the jet made a noise or sound, all sitting together either staring off into space or, in Apollo's case, sleeping on Victor's shoulder who absently pulled at stray strings on his pants.

Across the small jet, Meilani could see Adrian sat with Stiles ( or was he Void right then? ) as his eyes bored into the floor of the jet. Stiles' legs were pulled up to his chest with his cheek resting on his knees, talking softly to Adrian who would occasionally shake his head, not uttering a single word. Stiles' hazel eyes already looked glazed over and a faint dark circle was already forming around both eyes, making him look almost eerily just like he had back in junior year when Void had taken over his body the first time. Now it was happening all over again . . . and Meilani only blamed herself for it.

If only she had stopped Adrian from trying to bring Allison back up from the dead to give them tips on weapons and other things they could probably use. She could have called anyone else besides Allison Argent, right? Just because her father hadn't been around to answer, didn't mean she'd had to go to Allison next. Sure, Adrian had offered and even insisted that Meilani let him try the spell again — the same one that had even thrusted Adrian deeper into his necromancy in the first place. The same one that helped him see his late best friend Toby. The same one that went wrong the first time around so what made Meilani think something wouldn't go wrong again?

Meilani trusted Adrian more than anything, but she was also very aware of their past track record. Any plan they ever came up with always got blown up in their faces at some point or another because why should the pack have any luck at all? Now her best friend was silent and distant while her other best friend was possessed once again by the same spirit that had killed Allison and had nearly killed Meilani.

Guilt was heavy on Meilani's chest as she hid her face in her knees, Liam sat next to her as he rubbed her back soothingly. The pack had a vague idea of what happened thanks to Meilani as Adrian had all but shoved his way into the jet and plopped himself right in the back of the jet where no one would bother him. Despair, anger and worry all wafted off Adrian in waves and Meilani's nose twitched as she kept inhaling his chemo signals. Not that Adrian would ever admit to having any of these emotions to anyone, not even the wolves that could smell it right on him and call him out on it.

Adrian and Meilani almost never fought with each other. Hell, Meilani was pretty sure the only actual fight they ever had was back when Theo Raeken had come crashing into their lives in their senior year. He had quite quickly and effectively turned the whole pack against each other, leading Meilani to believe that Stiles had killed someone named Donovan on his own accord. A death that had been hidden from Meilani until Theo had told her about it. Granted, it wasn't Meilani's shining moment when she believed that Stiles had killed Donovan before he truly could help him as Meilani's big thing was never to kill anyone unless deemed absolutely necessary. Little did she know that Donovan had been trying to kill Stiles and the whole thing had truly been an accident, a pin falling from a rafter Stiles had been trying to climb to get away from Donovan and the rafting fall and punctured the boy through the chest.