Chapter 10

Steve and Natasha made it back in time before dinner was made. Chicken and pasta smells were filling their noses from the kitchen. They looked at each other and smiled.

"Do you think Maggie is asleep?" Natasha asked, following Steve out of the foyer and up the stairs.

Steve leaned in close to her ear to whisper. "I think it's probably safe to say yes. Thankfully, she has already eaten so we won't need to wake her up."

Natasha smiled and followed Steve downstairs where the aromas were coming from. It had been a while since Natasha was surrounded by this kind of atmosphere. Despite what Adele thought of her, it didn't matter. She selfishly felt like she belonged, even if they haven't yet accepted her.

As if on cue, Adele turned around and gave a big smile to Steve's direction, almost halfway acknowledging Natasha's presence. She wasn't going to allow it to get to her, she kept close to Steve. She almost touched his hand for comfort but stopped herself when Adele pulled her grandson into her arms in a tired hug. It looked close to awkward.

"Hello Adele, you have a lovely home. I hope it's not too much trouble, Steve asked me to stay for dinner." Natasha said, fidgeting her hands.

Adele's eyebrows raised, she almost looked concerned. "Oh? I see, very well. Now that Maggie is sleeping, I have dinner almost ready."

Even though she didn't say welcome or something of the sort, Natasha accepted it anyway. She couldn't figure out why Adele was practically acting as if she doesn't exist. They had met before, it wasn't the best meeting but she had a feeling Adele held a grudge against her.

"Thank you," Natasha said; feeling Steve's eyes on her, she smiled sweetly in his direction.

He gestured to the dining room, wanting to stir Natasha away from Adele's judgmental stares. He mentally shook his head at her behavior. It was very uncalled for and Natasha didn't deserve it. He led Natasha to the table and urged her to sit down, he took the seat beside her. Suddenly feeling protective, he had to take that seat. Sitting across from her wouldn't be ideal. He would have to sit next to Adele and right now he wanted to stay as close to Natasha as possible, as much she would let him.

Once they both sat, Steve made himself comfortable and less stiff; Natasha saw this and did the same.

"Thanks for coming again," Steve said, making Natasha stare up from the napkin on her lap.

"You're welcome, I just thought after today, maybe you wanted to call it a night, hopefully, to make it easier on you."

"It was easy, you were there. I mean, yeah it started out really bad, but it got better. The beach, the peer, the cafe, all of it. I loved every second."

Natasha blushed under the dim light of the chandelier. "I don't have a lot of days like these that's for sure."

Steve smiled, sighing softly. "I really wanted you to get to know Maggie. Next time we do this I will make sure you do. It's just amazing with all the added drama we can have a dinner like this. Next time I will call you if it happens."