Chapter 9

Some days had gone by and before Natasha knew it, Friday came around. She didn't know what to expect, she hoped it was good news, she needed some in her life now. She was beyond nervous thinking this might be her first day, she knew she wasn't hired yet but Steve hadn't said the typical lines people who don't hire do.

She had gone to her favorite donuts shop and bought a flavored coffee, she was going to need it for today. She can't afford to be tired if this was potentially her first day. Steve was clear on her coming by but he never said she got the job. Or maybe it did work in her favor, Natasha couldn't tell.

She pulled to the same spot she parked into last time. Getting out of the car she could hear commotion coming from inside. It started like running, screaming followed by crying thereafter. Natasha bit her lip wondering if she should proceed, maybe she wasn't cut out for this, maybe it wasn't the best time for her come by. Steve did same be here at eight sharp, she checked her phone, glancing at the early time staring back at her. She could always just ask Steve if it indeed was a proper time to be there.

But would he want that? Would this be a test for her? She shook her head, wondering why she was being so silly about this. Of course she should be here, she needed the money and she wasn't having any other opportunities.

"Get a grip." She whispered to herself, walking the rest of the way to the front door.

The noise had died down slightly, it sounded like Steve was speaking over Maggie who was crying. She couldn't imagine why or what caused it, was it right that she know personal matters like these?

Before she could think about how to answer she raised her hand to knock and pulled it back swiftly. After a few moments the door opened slowly, almost ominously.

Natasha almost spoke but the person standing in front of her wasn't Steve, it was Adele, wearing a tired expression, if Natasha didn't know any better, annoyed as well. Adele skimmed her slightly; almost studying her like a boarding school teacher would a pupil. Natasha felt vulnerable suddenly. She stood up straight, putting on a genuine smile despite Adele's nearly judge worthy face staring her way.

"Good morning, nice to see you again Adele, is Steve available?"

Adele sighed heavily, "It's probably best to leave; I don't think Steve can possibly do anything right now. I'll tell him you came by." Adele stepped back to close the door before Natasha could respond.

Her mouth stood agape open and she was wondering what just happened now. She was early. She could have sworn she heard Steve in the background right behind the door. There was an argument, something Natasha was used to hearing between her parents. Before she was triggered back to those memories she turned on her heel and walked back to her car.

She stopped for moment and thought, why was she allowing herself to be treated this way? Even if she respected Adele and Steve, she deserved a fair chance. Something told Natasha that Adele may be calling the shots in the house. Maybe it was how she looked, it rubbed Adele the wrong way, and maybe she wasn't what they really wanted. Maybe Adele was the one to tell her that Steve thought twice about considering her.

So many maybes and no real answers. She took a deep breath and opened her eyes, ready to leave for good if that was the case.

"Natasha wait!" Steve called behind her, she could hear steps and she turned around only to have Steve stand mere inches from her.

She shook her head, thinking maybe this really was a bad idea and Steve was going to say the words himself.

"Look, I'm sorry, I don't know what Adele said to you but I want you to stay. It's just, right now—it's chaotic, even I don't know how to deal with my daughter right now. I said I wanted to do this and I will. I promise. Maggie's just a little, emotional right now. I think it's best, right now, I think it's best we don't do anything until she calms down."