Chapter 1

She hummed as her wings beat against the air. Travelling through the halls she came to a screeching halt by Professor Mcgonagall. Who's patiently tapping her fingers against the banister of the grand staircase.

Mai landed on the banister and ruffled her wings against her body. "Good evening Mcgonagall."

"Good evening Mai." She smiled and pet under the birds beak.

The sound of pattering feet echo up the stairwell, causing Mai to stand up straight and peer down. Gazing at the students as they come to a halt near the top step.

"Welcome to Hogwarts." She started. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. There's. Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin."

Mai noticed Draco look at his two friends and nodded smugly at them when she mentioned Slytherin.

Professor Mcgonagall turned to Mai. "I assure you can keep an eye on them while I check to see whether the great hall is ready for them or not." Mai nodded confidentially.

McGonagall turned away and strode into the Great Hall. Draco finally spoke up once certain she left.

"So it's true? What they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." People begun to murmer and whisper at his statement. Confidence and smugness coating his tone and flowing off his body.

Mai let out a sigh knowing drama is about to happen and gives him a warning glare. Draco locks eyes with her and gulps before averting his gaze and continuing to speak. "This is Crabbe, and this is Goyle."

He pushed himself off the stair banister and wandered over, pocketing his hands and standing in front of the boy who lived. "And I'm Draco. Draco Malfoy."

Ron scoffed a chuckle. "Think my names funny do ya? Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe. You must be a Weasley. You'll see Potter that some households are better then others." He unpocketed a hand and held it out to him. "I can help you there."

"I think I can decide that for myself thanks." Harry replied with. Draco's jaw locked as he glared into the eyes of the boy below him.

Mai sighed, unfolded her wings and flew to the otherside. Knowing its exactly where Draco will return to.

Professor Mcgonagall walked forward and tapped Draco's shoulder with a roll of parchment. Causing him to retreat to the exact place Mai predicted, right in front of her.

"They are ready for you now." She spoke softly, peering through the glass of her glasses to the nervous and excited first years. She turned around and lead them into the Great Hall.

Mai hummed and roughly pecked Draco's head, causing him to jump and face her, rubbing the back of his head. Her eyes staring down at him made any ounce of confidence melt from him while underneath her threatening glare.

He slinked away his eyes flickering to the ground. Mai unfolded her wings and followed suit. Flying through the Great Hall doors and over the heads of the first years as they crowded by the front. She landed on the familiar hand of the professor dressed in black. Cooing happily at the feeling of his fingers stroking her head.

She took a piece of meat from Snape's hand before looking forward at the house sorting.

"Bones, Hannah."

A young girl hesitantly walked up and sat on the stool. Professor Mcgonagall placed the hat on the trembling girl, it suddenly became animated and spoke to the girl quietly. Before suddenly shouting out "HUFFLEPUFF"

The shy girl quickly rose and scurried off to the house of badgers before others were called one by one onto the stool.

Eventually Ronald Weasley was called up, he lugged his trembling body to the stool and sat down, shrinking slightly as the hat was lowered onto his ginger head.

"GRYFFINDOR"

Ron seemed to melt with relief before getting up and practically skipping over to the gryffindor table.

"Harry Potter." The hall filled with tension as people began to whisper and murmur once more.

He hesitantly wondered up and sat on the stool, tensing as the hat was put on his askew hair.

After acouple minutes. (and the hat dragging his head around) It finally shouted out "GRYFFINDOR" He seemed to smile and get up, walking away quickly to the gryffindor table.

She hummed as she watched the boy, intrigued and before she knew it the sorting was over and the tables were filled high with food.

Mai smiled at the sight and began to rip apart a piece of meat, holding her head back and letting it fall into her beak before swallowing.

The night quickly came to an end with her anticipating and waiting for the next day.