Evil Undone

ROJAS

"Don't panic but there has been a development," Russell said, pulling Andrea in for a kiss.

Andrea pushed Russell back violently and stomped her foot.

"I don't like the tone of that. I don't panic. I'm a queen. What do you mean by 'a development'?"

"A ship has set sail from Argos toward the Kieran Isles."

Russell took two steps back and prepared himself for Andrea's meltdown.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN? A SHIP? WHAT SHIP?" Andrea bellowed.

"They flew no flag, but our people saw the ship leave the shores of Argos at dawn and they say she was heading through the strait toward Kieran."

Andrea took a deep breath and tried to steady herself enough to speak. Her face flushed beet red, and her body stiffened with rage.

"Was the queen aboard?"

"We do not know."

"What is the use of having someone with intimate knowledge of Argos and Kieran if you cannot help me here? Do you think every queen shares her bed with a slave?"

Russell's face dropped from fear to heartache.

"I'm sorry, Your Majesty. I know not what happened. We were monitoring all correspondence."

Andrea vibrated with fury, but she knew being too harsh with Russell might make him less compliant, and she still needed his cooperation.

"It's fine," she said, slowing her breathing and regaining her composure. If there was no communication between their realms, it is possible that the ship sailing under no flag from Argos was a scout ship. My letter may have stoked the fire of rage I hoped for, after all. Send word to your contacts in Kieran. We need to know exactly what that ship is doing and who is aboard."

"Right away, Your Majesty."

Russell turned to leave the queen's bedchamber. Andrea grabbed his arm and kissed his cheek.

"I must know everything there is to be known. Return as soon as you can. I will reward you for your dedication."

Russell bowed low.

"Right away, my love."

THE EMERALD QUEEN

When Alex's ship reached the main island of Kieran, it surprised her to see only three women waiting on the embankment. They waved merrily, which caused her even greater confusion. She raised her flag and flew the colors of Argos as she moved around the fishing grounds of the Kieran fishing fleet, giving the queen and her people ample time to prepare for her unannounced incursion on their realm. She expected a large contingent of Queen Lena's Emerald Army to greet her with weapons drawn. Instead, as she walked down the gangplank and onto the welcoming beach, she saw three of the most radiant women she had ever laid eyes upon.

Looking around at the stunning island, Alex was immediately awestruck by the beauty. Rolling bright green hills of grass, stunning white stone architecture, and easily the most beautiful shores she had ever seen surrounded her like a familiar friend she never met. But something else drew her attention. The moment she saw the shimmering crown adorned with diamonds and Kieran emeralds and the infamous Verdant Pendant of Kieran hanging around her neck, she knew the queen had traveled from the castle to the shore to meet her personally. Alex's heart swelled with admiration for the queen, but she didn't dare show how impressed she was. What a very Kara thing to do.