My Thoughts of Her

KIERAN CASTLE

Constantly beset by chaos since Eliza died, Kara had not taken a moment to breathe. In Argos, she was constantly considering the problems of her realm, her subjects, and the potential threats lurking in the shadows.

Now that she was enjoying the hospitality of Kieran, Kara slept late, feasted on the finest foods, and took leisurely strolls wherever her feet would take her. She hadn't felt so relaxed or useless since she was a young child, playing with Alex in the fields, and she loved it. She let her mind drift to topics she never would have considered at home.

Even though she knew Eliza had her reasons for insisting she remain unmarried and rule Argos alone, she sometimes wondered what it would be like to have a partner to lean on. She often daydreamed about having someone she could ask for help or guidance. Alex and Alura were amazing, but she secretly longed for a passionate and loving relationship with someone who could help her lead Argos and make her feel safe. The more her desire grew, the less she felt she could ever admit her longings to another living soul.

And so, her mind drifted to Lena. They hadn't met. She didn't know what she looked like or anything about her. She knew what Alex told her, of course, but the thing that tugged at her heart was her generous act with the Island of Marin.

Kara was well acquainted with many queens before Eliza passed, but she never imagined she would meet anyone as eager as she was to help her people. Lena's willingness to defy social convention to aid the people of Marin was more attractive to Kara than beauty that might fade over time or riches that might dwindle. She thought of Lena helping her people, and her heart warmed over.

Kara took the time to appreciate the scenery as she strolled along the beach. Kieran was the most beautiful and serene place the young queen had ever visited. She enjoyed walking that particular stretch for hours, listening to the steady crash of waves and sounds of the sea.

She would never admit it to anyone, but she enjoyed having time to relax and be selfish for once. When Alex and Sam would leave Kara to her own devices, she would revel in the quiet with her thoughts. It felt glorious.

Kara enjoyed spending time with Alex and Sam, but she did her best not to impose too much on their time. Instead, she wandered around the castle happily, without impediment or restriction.

The more time she spent with Alex and Sam, the more she could see the affection between them grow.

On Kara's fifth morning in Kieran, Sam arranged for Alex and Kara to break their fast together in the center of the gardens while she dealt with her chancellor responsibilities.

Alex greeted Kara with a warm hug and a kiss.

"Good Morrow, cousin!"

"Good Morrow to you. I hope this day finds you well," Kara said cheerfully.

They sat down at the table marveling at the small feast Sam had prepared for them. A fine selection of meat, bread, cheese, fruit, and wine filled the table.

"I am very well indeed. Where is my aunt?"

"Aoife and mother are breaking their fast together."

"How are you? How did you sleep?" Alex asked.

"I slept well indeed. The comforts of this realm are quite nice. I believe I am sleeping too well. I awaken each morning with a start, imagining I'm late for battle."

"I've had that waking nightmare as well," Alex said, with a chuckle. "The daughters of Argos are unaccustomed to the ways of leisure and relaxation. You deserve a rest, Kar. You have taken no time for yourself since we lost Mother and I know the stress must be unbearable."