c h a p t e r o n e

edited

c h a p t e r  o n e 

salem sings her way into danger

salem wasn't like most of the demigods at camp, she was a child of a muse for fucks sake. most demigods had their own cabin with their own special abilities, but salem? nope. 

her only abilities seemed to be in music, she had exceptional instrumental talents and had been complimented on her vocal skills many times but other than that she wasn't really a hero. she didn't have the heroic skills and mindset most campers had, such as annabeth. annabeth would run into a fight if she saw a monster but salem? salem would run to get someone useful  to help.

since the mention of annabeth, it seems like a perfect time to get into their relationship. let's just say it isn't a good one. annabeth and salem were once an inseparable duo, doing everything together, but they soon started growing apart.

by the time annabeth was ten she and salem would fight every day, never agreeing on any of the smallest things. by the time annabeth was eleven, the duo hated each other. they were complete opposites, antonyms as annabeth may say. annabeth was cocky, salem was meek. annabeth was loud, salem was quiet. annabeth was strong, salem was weak.

no matter how much she told herself so, salem didn't hate annabeth. she was just jealous. she was jealous of everything about annabeth, her perfect skin, her blonde locks, her godly parent, her fighting skills, her battle strategies, everything about her. salem hated herself because of annabeth. 

now salem wasn't the worst at fighting, she had decent dagger skills and she had been taught many hand-to-hand combat moves, but nothing compared to annabeth. 

that was one thing that clarisse and salem bonded about, their dislike for annabeth (and also percy at times). many people found the friendship weird, i mean a 5'0 musical geek and a 6'6 child of war? but they managed to make it work. most of the time.

✬✬✬

"hi salem!" squeaked out a younger girl.

salem let out a small squeak of alarm, jumping before she met the face of honey simon. when honey first arrived she had, for some reason, taken a liking to salem and followed her everywhere. at first, salem found it a little odd and even a little annoying at times, but over time the two grew a sister like relationship, salem being protective over the the innocent nine year old.

"di immortals! honey, you scared me!" salem put a hand on her chest for extra effect, causing the nine year old to giggle and sit in the grass next to salem.