Battle Wounds

1 week later
Tim's POV
I was in the kitchen at the station getting a cup of coffee. Today is the day Lucy comes back to work and insisted even though we live together we will drive to and from work alone until she graduates from being my rookie.

Nolan and West walk in the kitchen.
"So um- how is she? She's barely talked to us since the hospital." Nolan asked me.
I take a drink of my coffee and look at them, "Well she made run out and buy her cover up at 4am. To cover the tattoo. She does that everyday. But she's doing better." I shudder at the memories of Lucy in her zombie phase.
"Well, wouldn't you? I mean, can you imagine walking around with a serial killer's brand on you? When can she have it removed?" West asked me.
That's when I saw Lucy walk in, she shot him a look, "4 weeks, 2 days and 9 hours." She then poured herself a cup of coffee.
"Hey for your first day back I figured you could use some sugar and carbs." We both looked at the plate full of donuts and scones Nolan was holding out. I took a bite and walked out of the room and to the bull pen.

I see Harper filling out some paper work and go beside her to grab a few things.
"So what's your plan?" She asks, I look at her confused.
"For what?"
"Officer Chen. I'm sure you've got some Alpha strategy, to get her "back on the horse." So, what is it?" She says with that Nyla Harper attitude.
"Your standard input overload. Force her to push through dynamic engagements. Hone in her fight-or-flight response." I tell her with confidence and skim through the papers I needed to sign off on before shift.
"So basically get her into as many fights as possible." She says.
"Well, I'm gonna remind her that she's a cop, the way she jumps at every sound and still has a hard time being a room alone. I need her to see she's not a victim. Because that's what she still thinks she is."
"She knows she's not a victim. Look, Chen doesn't need to fight, she needs to make peace with the voice inside of her head telling her she's never gonna be safe again." I look at her with my are your serious face.
"Okay, I've been training rookies a lot longer than you. I know what she needs. You didn't see the way shes been the last 3 weeks." I tell her and close the paperwork and cross my arms.
"That's ego talking. What happened to Chen is every woman's worst fear."
"Trust me, I'm aware of that. What happened to her is my worst fear for her." I say.
"But you have never lived that fear. It's clear that you have her best interests at heart. You may have been scared and looking for her. You may have held her hand through the mental recovery. But your weren't there, I'm just asking you to consider, whether she might be better served by someone who has been through what she has been through." Nyla tells me. She's not wrong... she really wasn't. I just wanted to be there for her today. But this is where I got to do what's best for Lucy and not me.
"And that someone's you. Okay I'll talk to Grey and let me tell her, please. I don't want her getting the wrong idea." I walk to find those 2.

Lucy's POV
Tim gave me a heads up that I'm riding with Harper today because she's been through something similar as me and that she could better help through my first day. He even admitted that he's probably not the best person to handle my first day back. I was disappointed but didn't let him see it. We are Rookie and TO not Tim and Lucy.

I get near the roll call room and pause. I asked Nolan to tell them not to clap me in. But I brace myself incase no one listens.
I close my eyes and open the door. When I open them everyone is standing and clapping. I lock eyes with Tim who is smiling a little extra and he winks at me.
I put my head down and rush to my seat.
"Sorry I tried," Nolan says as I sit down.
"Yeah, your dead to me." I tell him.
"Welcome back, Officer Chen. How're you feeling?" Grey asks.
"Can't wait to get on the streets, sir. Just get back to normal." I tell him, convincing myself as well as him. If I were tell someone I wasn't anxious for today I'd be lying.
"So glad to hear that. We're gonna mix things up a bit. You're gonna be riding with Harper this week. Which means, Nolan, you and your ride-along are with Bradford."
After seeing a video of West on the red carpet we are dismissed.