Star City

"When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching -- they are your family. "

Jim Butcher

Kara stepped through the doorway, wrapped in one of the hotel's soft cotton robes. Her hair was braided and her eyes were bright, almost cheerful. Her lips were still a tad swollen, and Barbara winked at Diana as she turned towards the coffee maker, whispering, "a very good night."

Diana's phone buzzed, and she shrugged, first at Kara, then at Barbara. She moved towards the patio door, pushing her armor behind a large potted plant with her toes. Barbara snorted as she watched the movement, eyes dropping to her coffee cup as her shoulders continued to shake. Diana rolled her eyes, waiting as Kara stepped closer, "it's Bruce, my sweet. I'll be on the phone for a few minutes." She turned her head back towards Barbara, "think you can behave?"

Kara stole a quick kiss, smiling, "yes, highness."

Kara was watching closely as Diana stepped through the doors, bending to pick up Diana's armored top and pulling the doors closed as she heard Diana huff, "hello, Bruce."

>>>

From across the bar, Barbara smiled smugly at the blonde Amazon, who was clutching Diana's chestplate, "be careful with that, Kara." Barbara purred, "she is very protective of it."

"It was once worn by General Antiope," Kara responded with a whisper, staring at the garment in her hands.

"And it means the world to her," Barbara finished, adding cream to her coffee and stirring it slowly.

"Barbara," Kara spoke softly as she placed Diana's armor reverently on the table. She turned to face the small blonde, biting her lower lip, "I--I'm--I want to apologize for yesterday--for my jealousy, and my rudeness."

Barbara lowered her head, shaking it back and forth, "Kara, Kara, Kara." She raised her head, blue eyes shining with joy, "you don't need to apologize for your feelings. Not to me, not to anyone. That woman out there, she deserves to be happy, to be loved, to be wanted."

"You--you love her," Kara stated, her face falling.

A very pretty laugh sounded from over the cup of coffee, and the laugh grew as ocean eyes looked up with confusion. "I do love her, Kara. Diana is like a sister. The sister I never knew I needed."

"You sound like an Amazon," Kara nodded, showing respect with her eyes. "I think she cares deeply about you as well."

"It's no wonder she is falling in love with you," Barbara laughed, and dropped her head, hiding tear filled eyes from the hero. "Would you like a cup of coffee?"

"That horrid black liquid that Diana drinks," Kara answered, scrunching her nose with disgust.

"Oh, goodness, no, sweetheart! I'm going to introduce you to coffee with cream and sugar," Barbara laughed lightly.

>>>

"Hello Bruce," Diana answered her phone politely as she stepped out onto the patio. "I assume you are calling about the para-demons last night."

"No, well maybe. Barry will fill me in on that," Bruce responded. "How was the drive up?"

Diana answered suspiciously, "it was fine. I started teaching Kara to drive."

"And? How did she do?" Bruce asked, a sharp intake of breath.

"Your car is fine, Kara is an excellent driver," Diana answered a little harshly. "Sorry."