03: sun

VINEET STANDS NEAR my locker with an uncharacteristically bright grin

When he finally notices me making my way towards him, his eyes brighten- and he gives me a little wave.

"Hey you," I greet softly, when I finally reach him, "What's got you all smiley today?"

His smile, if possible, widens- a red flush spreading across his bronze skin.

"Guess what?" he says in an excited whisper. When I raise my eyebrows in question, he continues in the same tone, "She sat next to me today. And she spoke to me the whole time. I almost died."

"She?" for a moment my eyebrows furrow in confusion- before the realization hits me, and my eyes widen. "Oh, no way!"

"Yes way!" Vineet's voice goes a pitch higher, the excitement in his tone clear as day. "I couldn't believe it either!"

"Lucky you!" I gush quietly, poking his arm, "What was it like?"

"She's so nice," he says dreamily, "and so, so pretty. She offered to be my partner for the assignment too- and you know what? She picked me over Chad. Chad on the football team."

He leans back against the locker, the same dazed look on his face as he holds a hand above his heart.

"I think I'm in love."

"You say that every time she smiles at you," I tease, as I open my locker to switch my books with the ones I need.

"Because it's the truth."

"Mhmm, I'm sure," I shake my head at him, and just as I look over his shoulder, I catch sight of the exact person he was talking about making a beeline towards us.

"By the way," I tell him softly, "She's heading towards us right now."

"Wh- oh shit," his face goes pale as he straightens, "Hey, I look alright, don't I? My hair lo-"

"Hey, you two!"

He freezes, at the sound of her voice- his lips curving into a shaky smile, as he turns to her. I offer her a small wave as she smiles brightly at both of us.

"Hi Jade," he says softly, his cheeks blazing red.

"Hi!" she chirps happily, beaming at both of us, "And hey, Ophelia- I haven't seen you in a while! Good summer?"

I nod softly, as she stands beside me- looping her arm in mine with a smile. 

As reserved as I was, she was one of the few people that I truly didn't mind speaking to at all. Because that was the thing about Jade Yoon- she was always warm, friendly, and an absolute sweetheart to everybody. 

Being the captain of the cheerleading team already put her on top of the social ladder, but the fact that she was one of the kindest, most genuine people ever- made it even better.