22: icarus (atlas)

ICARUS WANTED THE sun

To Icarus, freedom wasn't just the feeling of gliding through the clouds. It was to reach for the sun.

But Icarus- he never knew the sun. He only felt its warmth from afar.

He saw how it was lonely, but still how its rays permeated through the very earth- letting the green flourish. How it was so, so far away, and yet how it made every day on earth what it was. How it rose and fell- but remained the same gleaming vision every day.

And when the sun smiled, Icarus ached for it. It was so bright and blinding, that it hurt to look at it- but he did it anyway.

Icarus loved the sun. So much, that he flung himself skyward and allowed himself to be burned, just to feel its warmth up close.

Many see Icarus as too prideful, fire-loving, and obsessive. But to reach for the sun, having loved it nearly all your life- even if it led to your own fall- was a remarkable feat all in itself.

In some ways, Ophelia was like my sun. And like Icarus, I had foolishly chosen to reach for her- knowing very well it might not end well.

Like Icarus, I fell. Hard, fast- flailing in freefall under gravity. But soon enough, I wasn't laughing like he was, as I fell. Because soon enough, everything fell apart.

I stare blankly at the clothes in my closet

I stare blankly at the clothes in my closet. Somehow, there was more green in there than there ever had been. New stuff, old stuff, stuff that I had borrowed from my dad- but all mostly green.

The cello ring around my finger burns against my skin. I glance down at it, and after another moment- filled with heavy contemplation, I slip it off.

The necklace around my neck is next. It feels so heavy as I slip it off and set it down on my desk, right next to the ring. It makes a little metallic ding when it touches the wood, something that almost sounds like a soft musical note.

The sound reverberates through the room, filling the silence. My mind does that little thing where it makes up notes that could follow that and turn it into a melody.