13: sunsets

SOMETHING WAS RINGING

SOMETHING WAS RINGING. Faint but persistent. Annoying too.

Ignoring it was no longer an option considering I had already disregarded it twice, only for it to pause for about five seconds, before starting again.

The warmth that I was snuggled into seems to share that sentiment.

"Turn that fucking thing off," comes a harsh grumble from somewhere above me.

I press my face further into the warmth with a small, sleepy groan. "Give it a few seconds."

It stops, nearly making me sigh in relief. And then, it starts again.

I scowl in my sleep, turning away from what I had nestled into and blindly reaching for the source of the sound. I'm still nowhere near awake- but I do recognize my own ringtone.

"Yes?" I mumble sleepily, fumbling with my phone as I press it to my cheek.

"Finally!" comes Vineet's hushed exclamation, "Oh my God, it's past 9 in the morning, I thought you were dead-"

Morning people were the worst. "What do you want?" I say, my voice quiet and tired, as I turn onto my side.

"Jade asked me to breakfast," he tells me, his words rushed, "and ugh, I had to decline and tell her I had plans with you. It was the single most painful moment of my life-"

At this, my eyes flicker open- and I squint at the bright light shining onto my face through the window. "What'd you say?"

"Jade," he says slowly with an exasperated huff, "asked me to breakfast and-"

"You said no?" I finish for him drowsily, "What are you- an idiot?"

"Excuse me?" he sputters indignantly as I stretch, my back pressing against the warmth behind me. "I said no because we already have plans together- I promised I'd help you with shopping, didn't I?"

"This is about you going on a breakfast day with your crush," I tell him with a small yawn, "Don't worry about our plans, I'll do it on my own."

I can hear silence on the other end. "Wait. What?"

I nod before I realize he can't see me as the weight around my waist tightens, pulling me closer. "Go on that date, loser."

There's another pause, almost like he's waiting for me to say I'm joking- and the lull in the conversation is almost peaceful.

Until of course, he decides to try destroying my eardrums by letting out an excited screech- sounding very much like a velociraptor on crack.

Idiot. My fingers fumble but press on the red hang-up button before I can hear any more of it.

I let the phone slip from my hand, and it lands a few inches away from my fingers on the mattress, while something brushes against my shoulder and neck.