A Heart for Milton - Chapter 22

There is one more chapter and then an epilogue.

For those of you who have fallen in love with John and Margaret, you are invited to check out my library, which is comprised mostly of other good stories featuring this unforgettable couple.

Thank you for your support of this story, and thanks most of all for reading and enjoying. It's been a great pleasure to write for you all.

-Trudy

A Heart for Milton - Chapter 22

Rain that had been lacking in the summer now descended in torrents, turning the dusty mill yard to mud and hastening the steps of those forced to brave the elements. The sky loomed ominously day after day, heralding the coming winter with little prospect of reprieve. In truth, it was an ideal time for Margaret's confinement, although the perpetual gloom of the darkened sky threatened at times to bring waves of melancholy over her.

The expectant young wife kept her spirits up by occupying her time with pleasurable and practical pursuits. Having now the inclination and freedom of economy to make changes as she saw fit, Margaret carefully set about adding color and vibrancy to the living spaces of the home which seemed more her own with every passing month. Mrs. Thornton gladly relinquished her collection of glass-domed alabaster to make room for more suitable decorations for a home with young children, and watched with growing approval as her southern daughter-in-law made her choices.

Margaret papered the walls in the drawing and dining rooms with patterned tones of rose, gold, and burgundy. She covered the cold, dark tables with richly colored fabrics, and placed beautiful rugs strategically about the main living area. A bookcase and several favorite chairs from the Crampton house were placed in the family drawing room at Marlborough Mills, giving it a more comfortable appeal. Flowers and bowls of fruit adorned the tables; the daguerreotype from their honeymoon was displayed on the back wall with framed depictions of the Hampshire countryside; and books and a few sewing baskets were at the ready throughout the room, inviting one to linger and relax. Mr. Thornton enjoyed his wife's decor immensely, for it seemed to him that she had transformed his home into the warm, welcoming atmosphere that he had so loved in the Hale's home.

Margaret kept a modest social schedule, so that she would not feel quite so housebound. She invited Mary and sometimes Fanny for tea. She also enjoyed having the new teacher, Miss Garrat, come to visit once a week to keep her informed of the children's progress.

Occasionally, when boredom tempted her, Margaret brought out her paints and endeavored to capture on paper the summer landscapes of her childhood home.

Mr. Thornton was ever attentive to his wife's needs and endeavored to be good company for her in the evenings. He brought her magazines and books, and on the weekends took his wife out for walks if the weather was not inclement.

When the holidays neared, Margaret plied her womanly wiles to gain her husband's permission to hold a Christmas celebration for the mill workers. With Mary and Miss Garrat's help, she delighted in busying herself in the planning and organization of the festive event.

On Christmas Eve, while the occupants of the mill still toiled, Margaret and a crew of helpers secretly cleared the dining hall and trimmed it with wreaths made of mistletoe and boughs of holly and ivy. Bowls of punch and platters of mince pies were set on tables along the wall in preparation for the unsuspecting guests.

Mr. Thornton shut down the mill's steam engine three hours early and directed his workers to the waiting hall. Higgins grinned knowingly at the excited chatter of the crowd and caught the Master's eye with an approving nod.