A Heart for Milton - Chapter 6

The rhythmic sound and steady movement of the train slowly coaxed Mr. Thornton into a restful sleep. It was sorely needed; he had spent hours lying in bed the previous evening imagining countless scenarios of his impending reunion with Margaret, and he had woken very early to board the first train to London.

He awoke from his nap to find himself being studied by a young lad across the way. Mr. Thornton gave the boy a kind smile, which the child returned before turning his attention back to the window.

Mr. Thornton pulled out his father's pocket watch to determine the time. It was after ten o'clock. He would be in London within the hour. His nerves pricked as he thought that soon he would discover his fate. Would she welcome him with eager joy, or would he find her manner chilled with a practiced civility?

If only he knew why she had not written! He worried that her family might persuade her to release him of his obligations. Now that Margaret was bereft of father and brother, and had no other male family to care for her, Mr. Thornton knew that custom would have her safely married, and that she had tacitly designated him as her protector when she had announced their engagement. How he longed to fulfill that role, and marry her as soon as possible! If she held any affection for him at all, he hoped she would not be convinced to cast him aside for some London gentleman. He would do anything to secure her promise; he would not allow others' opinions to stand in their way. He refused to lose her again.

The train rolled through the countryside. Flowers spotted the lush grass that covered the ground, and the fresh smell of spring permeated the air. There was nothing in Milton to compare with it. This thought cut him with its undeniable truth. How natural it seemed to envision Margaret growing up in such open verdure. Was he so selfish that he would keep such a beautiful flower in Milton to brighten his own colorless world?

Would that he were gentry, and could offer her a country manor where he imagined she belonged. But his life's work was in industry, and could not escape the confines of the city. Could Margaret find happiness in such a place?

He recalled with a kindling of hope that she had declared that her heart belonged in Milton. Mr. Thornton remembered the thrill that had shot through him when he had first heard those words. That she would want to be with him was his greatest hope.

He was still astounded that she had announced their engagement in front of her Aunt. He shivered to recall the way she had looked at him at the station that day, and prayed he would soon receive such a look again. Could she truly be in love with him?

Mr. Thornton remembered kissing her hand and the surprising way in which she had received his kiss! His hopes soared to dangerous heights to imagine that she might gladly receive his more ardent ministrations. He had long dreamed of how it would feel to kiss her, and felt a rush of exhilaration to think of finally bestowing a kiss upon her lips.

She was so beautiful! He could not stop thinking of her day or night. For months, she had haunted his dreams with elusive images of loving entreaty. But now that she had promised to be his wife, the vision of her was even more vivid, more alive.

Mr. Thornton's thoughts eventually drifted to the events of the day before. The shock of discovering that she had a brother had diminished, and he was now able to consider more deeply how the consequences of that secret had affected Margaret.

He felt tremendous compassion when he contemplated how faithfully she had kept her brother's secret at the time of her mother's death. How lonely she must have felt, and how frightened she must have been for her brother's safety during the scuffle with Leonards at the station. Mr. Thornton regretted that had not been there at the right time. If he had, perhaps he could have helped in some way. Instead, he was disgusted to recall how he had left the station in a self-consumed huff of jealousy and wounded pride.