A Heart for Milton - Chapter 8

The pink light of early dawn cast its first rays on the mill yard as Hannah Thornton sat waiting at the breakfast table. She had been restless during John's absence, torn between the hope of his happiness and the niggling worry of being displaced in her own home. She prayed that John would return from London with the knowledge that Margaret would accept his hand. It was unthinkable to imagine otherwise.

In spite of her hopes for John's happiness, Mrs. Thornton could not help but dread the girl's coming to live with them. She imagined that as mistress of Marlborough Mills, Margaret would bring a host of changes to their daily routine and customs. She would bring her Southern ways and graces to bear on the household in some manner; Mrs. Thornton was convinced of it. And John would no doubt delight in and indulge her every whim and fancy, oblivious to whatever consequences such indulgence may have.

Reflecting more deeply upon her anxious judgments, Mrs. Thornton was inclined to admit that Margaret did not seem the type of girl to spend an inordinate amount of attention to matters of décor or domestic detail, unlike Fanny who seemed to constantly fill her thoughts with the latest fashions and ostentatious display.

Perhaps Margaret would not deign to redecorate or make dramatic alterations in the established running of the house per se, but would instead suggest to John how he might run his mill, conjuring up some additional scheme meant to improve the lives of the workers at the mill's expense. Mrs. Thornton was certain the workers' kitchen that John had established could be attributed to Margaret's influence, and worried that the girl would attempt to meddle with John's authority and decisions in business. She certainly had showed herself to be a woman of strong opinion at the Masters' dinner last July and had thought nothing of casting her philanthropic ideas before Milton's most powerful men.

A sigh escaped her lips as she thought of how vulnerable her son might be to his wife's manipulations. Mrs. Thornton had never seen John so unguarded as when it concerned Margaret Hale. He practically worshipped the girl, and would not hear a word against her. This was what most worried her, she decided: that John would unwittingly abandon his long-practiced reason to follow the dictates of this young woman, who knew next to nothing of the hard work and trials that had enabled him to attain his present position in business and society.

Mrs. Thornton was certain that John would not have told Margaret of the mill's present financial troubles, not when he wished to secure her hand in marriage. But she would need to know soon enough that her life here would not necessarily be one of ease and carefree habit as she may imagine it to be. She would need to appreciate the wealth that John had already carefully secured, as well as maintain a healthy respect for the caution and insight needed to ride the stormy cycles of the industry in which he worked.

The sound of her son's quick footsteps descending the stairs broke the train of her troubled thoughts. She was relieved to see his easy smile, even as her stomach churned to think of its meaning.

"Good morning, mother," he greeted her cheerfully as he took his seat.

"Good morning, John," she replied in her usual moderate tone. "Your trip went well, I presume?" she inquired casually, permitting him to bring up the pertinent details of all that had transpired since he had departed.

"Yes, all is settled," he told her as a warm smile spread across his face, the memory of Margaret's sweet affections filling him with effusive joy.

Mrs. Thornton noted his relaxed and happy manner. How changed he looked to be at ease with the world! She had never seen him so content, and was almost alarmed at the dramatic contrast to the agitated, hopeful lover that had departed for London two days ago. She was forced to admit how much power Margaret wielded over her son's temperament, and was saddened to recognize how much further her influence on her son would be diminished when he brought his wife home.