A Heart for Milton - Chapter 14

The newlyweds spoke little as the train traveled through the countryside, content to gaze out the window together. A small smile played on Mr. Thornton's face, the satisfactory thought of bringing his bride home never far from his mind.

When London was finally behind them and the longer portion of their trip loomed before them, they broke into easy conversation. Margaret asked about the mill and the cotton industry, and Mr. Thornton happily explained everything she inquired about, wisely avoiding any lengthy descriptions that might be beyond her scope. Instead, he gently allowed her to direct the lesson with her inquisitive interest.

When the afternoon drew long, and they wakened from the indolent haze of a peaceful doze, restlessness began to take hold of Margaret. She felt a fluttering of nervousness in the pit of her stomach as they grew nearer to their destination. Her anxiety was born of uncertainty - she would be taking on a whole new role as mistress in a home still foreign to her.

She would not be returning to the small, comfortable home in Crampton with her father, but would be expected to run a household where the large rooms seemed austere and cold, their perfect cleanliness and arrangement suggesting that the occupants within engaged very little in true living. She did not want to disrupt the efficient system she was sure Mrs. Thornton had in place, but she knew that there would inevitably be differences in opinion between them. Margaret did not look forward to being under careful observation, and hoped her mother-in-law would graciously accept any changes she made. Although she wished to please the woman who had so long cared for her beloved husband, her first priority would be to make the house a warm and inviting place for John.

Mr. Thornton sensed the change in his wife's demeanor and inquired after her thoughts.

"It is nothing, really," she said as she endeavored to make light of her feelings, "I suppose I am a little anxious to become mistress of such a grand house. I do not wish to disturb the harmony of your home. I'm certain your mother has taken great pains to make everything run very smoothly," she added worriedly.

Her husband smiled and gently squeezed her hand in reassurance. "It is your home now. I wish you to do as you see fit. I'm certain my mother can assist you in learning the household duties, if need be," he assured her.  

"Please, I wish for you to feel at home in my house. You will not worry yourself to please me - I forbid it," he gently mocked her uneasiness with his command. "I will be happy so long as you are in it," he promised, looking into her eyes to convince her.

His words calmed her, but could not entirely erase the uneasiness the felt at the notion of finding her place in the established order of his domain.

When the gray cloud of Milton's smoky factories could be seen in the distance, Margaret's anxiety transmuted to exhilaration. She looked eagerly out the window to watch the city come into view, overjoyed to be coming home at last. Although her memories of living there were mixed, she felt the excitement of starting afresh. A whole new world promised to open up to her in a city she found teeming with activity and the promise of progress.

They alighted from the train and Mr. Thornton signaled a porter.

"Mr. Thornton, sir," the boy acknowledged, bowing slightly after receiving his instructions and hastening to his task.

Margaret took her husband's arm with admiration, and gazed at him with new eyes, seeing now the Milton master and magistrate who commanded the respect of the city. She took a deep breath, feeling a swell of pride to be his wife.

He gave her a warm smile and escorted her to a waiting cab.

*****************************