2. Now - The Frailty of Friendship

"Hershel!", you exclaim.

You both smile, genuinely happy seeing each other.

"What a pleasant surprise, Hershel! I would never have expected to see you here, in the flesh."

"Me neither. It has been far too long since our last meeting. You look well, (Name)."

"So do you. Are you on leave with your family?", you enquire, looking at the young woman and the small boy next to him.

"Hardly. Emmy, Luke, allow me to introduce you to (Name, Surname). We've known each other since our school days."

"How do you do? I'm Emmy Altava, the professor's assistant!"

"And I'm Luke Triton, the professor's apprentice! Pleased to meet you!"

"Likewise. Professor Layton, uh? I had heard of you becoming a world renowned archaeologist and could not believe the news. What an unforeseen turn of event!"

"You're close, but not quite! I'm actually a professor of archaeology at Gressenheller University in London."

"Wonderful! We're practically neighbours. I live in the Kent, right outside Canterbury."

"Oh, the Kent is undoubtly a lovely place, surrounded by variegated fields of wild flowers and viridescent pastures. It suits you.", compliments the professor. "Did you come all the way to Monte d'Or in search of inspiration?"

"I'm doing a book signing event tomorrow."

"Wait! When you say you're (Name, Surname), are you meaning that (Name) (Surname)?! The famous writer?", exclaims Emmy.

"I can confirm I'm an writer, however I won't comment on the famous part..."

"You wrote the novel 'Beneath the Sky of Wayfaring', several anthologies of poetry, even children's literature and illustration books, correct?", she remarks with excitation.

"That's correct, Emmy."

"Oh!", Luke suddenly blurts out. "Are you the author of 'Lettera'? It's one of my favourite books of all times! The drawings are marvelous."

"Well, well, (Name)! If that is not the definition of fame, then I don't know what is! I also happen to have come across some of your works, and I must say you haven't lost your touch and sensitivity after all these years."

You smile gracefully.

"I stand corrected. I'm humbly grateful for your kind words."

"Our pleasure, (Name). Are you having a good stay here?"

"I've only arrived early afternoon."

"What a coincidence! We've barely arrived ourselves. However, we've been taken aback by tonight's events."

"Yes, that was awful. I wasn't directly involved, but the sight of people's screaming and trampling was frightening indeed. Who was it again? The Masked Gentleman, apparently? The name was on everyone's lips at the hotel, so I thought it was some sort of show."

"No, unfortunately. The Masked Gentleman is very real and dangerous. He's been performing his 'miracles' all over the city for about a month, or so I've heard."

"Like paintings popping out of their frame and starting wandering around!", describes Emmy.

"Or people getting petrified!", adds Luke.

"Now that's unsettling... To me, it sounds like terrorism..."

"As a matter of fact, we're currently investigating the nature of these miracles.", explains the professor.