5. Then - Care and Time

You remember

Very clearly

You have known from a very young age that you would eventually fall for Henry, one day.

Over time.

Growing up in the same village.

Obviously.

Because you had always been making up excuses to see him.

His tall, slender figure.

His smile.

Hoping that he was smiling that way only because it was you.

You were always giving him a reason to talk to you, so that you could listen to him.

His voice. Soft and soothing.

Wishing that he was pronouncing your name the way he did only because it was you.

"Henry."

So you made sure to convey all your love when you pronounced his.

Like a prayer.

You remember your best friend, Angela, giggling at your diffident attempts to be by his side.

Letting you walk with her to Randall's residence, just so that you could see Henry.

Making up excuses as well for you, to allow the two of you to be alone for a minute.

Teasing you as a close friend would do.

Encouraging you to confess your feelings.

To no avail.

You pretended that the time was not yet ripe.

But you were just terrified that your prayers would remain unanswered.

Ignored.

Mulling over, you thusly believed that keeping the status quo was the safest option.

You now realise that you were too young, too immature.

So you watched from afar.

Watched him swiftly move around the house. 

Offering yourself to help whenever possible.

Standing ready even to help him cut the onions you hated so much because they made you cry.

To accompany him to the Old Market.

Watch him work.

You were particularly fond of his gardening skills. The way he treated those flowers – you dreamt that you were the one he was touching with utmost care, with his long, beautiful fingers. 

Day-dreaming.

Longing for him when he was not in plain sight.

Sighing.

Waiting for him to slow down and ask about your day.

Do you have a little time?

Do you have a little time for me?

Ah.

Angela's voice suddenly brought you out of your reverie:

"Bravo, Henry! Your tea tastes delicious! Don't you agree with me, (Name)?... (Name)?", Angela enquired before realising that your mind was elsewhere this instant. She placed a hand in front of her mouth to hide a chuckle as you stared at her with an expression of sheer surprise and guilt after losing the thread of the conversation.

"I must say, Henry would make an excellent tea sommelier!", complimented Hershel before you could gather your thoughts.

"Say, Henry... What is it everytime I invite (Name) to my place, the tea you make is tastier than usual?", Randall questioned the servant, out of the blue.