1. Then - A Poem for Dreamers

Little Angela had invited you and the rest of you children to the hill, on the way to Randall's house. But since you had promised your parents you would help with the chores, you came late.

When you arrived, you saw Randall's governess pulling him by the ear and scolding him loudly, while Alphonse's father had grabbed his own son by the wrist and was forcing him to leave, although the boy was yanking and whimpering.

Angela was standing there with her arms crossed and Henry was crying his eyes out, holding close to his chest his dear toy robot.

"What's happened? And Henry, why are you crying?"

Angela puffed angrily.

"Randall and Alphonse are so stupid!", she replied with a clear emphasise on the last word. "We were supposed to have fun, but all they did was arguing and fighting. Henry and I couldn't stop them, so I had to go tell Randall's nanny! I didn't expect Alphonse's dad to be at the Ascots'!"

You looked worriedly at poor little Henry sobbing next to Angela.

"Henry, you'll be all right!", you tried to comfort him and massaged his back.

Rubbing his red eyes and runny nose with his sleeve, he explained between sniffles: 

"Sniffle, D-Dalston t-took my r-robot, sniffle, a-and he re-refused to give it b-back! Sniffle, Master R-Randall fought him, sniffle, b-but Dalston wouldn't l-let go, sniffle, a-and he called me a c-crybaby! I-I feel awful, sniffle, M-Master got in t-trouble and hurt b-because of me!"

"You're not a crybaby! If you cry, it's because you care! And if you do, that means you're a good person! Right, Angela?", you said affectionately.

"Yes! And Randall will be fine, you'll see!", Angela reassured him.

Henry looked a little better afterwards.

"Thanks, (Name) and Angela."

Detecting that hint of relief on Henry's face put a smile in your heart.

You wanted to give him a poem. Something meaningful to make him smile too.

You went back home and wrote very neatly on a small piece of paper what had come to your mind. The day after, you showed it to Angela, who could not contain her excitement.

"Oh! (Name), that's soooo sweet! Are you really going to give it to him? I want to see his face when he receives it."

Your friend had summoned the three boys to the same spot as the day before to make peace. Randall and Alphonse had plasters stuck on various body parts.

"Randall, Alphonse, if you don't apologise to each other right now, (Name) and I aren't going to play with you anymore!", Angela warned.

Reluctantly, the two boys briefly shook hands and muttered something that indeed sounded like a "sorry". Alphonse also apologised to Henry for taking his robot.

"(Name), now's your chance!", Angela chirped.

However, your keenness to deliver the message suddenly vanished as soon as your and Henry's eyes met. Feeling silly, you timidly put away the piece of paper deep in your pocket.

"N-No, actually I forgot it home..."

Angela got very upset.

"You liar! I know it's in your pocket!"

Then began a series of jumps and shouts between the two of you trying to keep the precious piece of paper in your pocket, or on the contray, to take it out.

"I've changed my mind!"

"(Name), come on! Give him the poem already!"

"Hey! Not fair! You told us to stop squabbling over a toy and you two are having a go at each other!", complained Randall.

The crumpled piece of paper eventually fell from your hand and rolled straight to Henry's feet. The boy picked it and looked at the little ball with curiosity.

You gasped.

"W-wait, Henry!"

"(Name) wrote it for you, Henry! If you don't read it now, you may never have the chance to see it again!", insisted Angela, holding you back and tickling you.

"Is that true, (Name)? Did you really write it for me?"

He seemed genuinely surprised.

A burning blush crept up your cheeks and all you could do was to hide your face behind your fingers and nod with apprehension.

"Will you allow me to have a look at it?", he enquired softly, unwilling to make you feel bad.

Slumping your shoulders in shame and clasping your own hands, you nodded firmly nonetheless while Angela patted your back.

Henry unfolded the note and read it silently.

"What is it? What is it?!", asked Alphonse with anticipation.

"Come on, mate! Show it to us already or read it outloud!", Randall pressed him, trying to peruse over his friend's shoulder.

Henry cleared his throat and enunciated:

Your rolling tears

Are crystal clear

The sun glows

Through the sorrow

I see a rainbow

"Whaaaat?", whined Randall. "That's it?!"

"I don't even get it!", complained Alphonse, scratching his head.

"Poetry is weird!"

"Yeah, I prefer exploring!"

"Oh! Do you, now? You're pulling my leg!", mocked Randall. "Hey, Henry! Let's go back searching for rare flowers!", he invited before running towards the opposite direction, along with Alphonse.

"Randall and Alphonse are so insensitive!", Angela shook her head in disapproval.

"(Name).", Henry called you.

You shyly looked up and noticed his beaming smile and rosy cheeks.

"Thank you so much, (Name). It's very pretty, you write very well! I'm glad I could read it. I'll make sure to memorise it by heart. Honest!"

You slightly swayed on your feet with embarrassement, though Henry's compliment made you euphoric and warm inside.

"Thank you for reading it. I'm very happy you like it."

"You bet I do! I love it! Thank you. You're so kind."

After he left to join his friends, you and Angela walked to the lakeside and played together for a while.

"Are you feeling lighter now that you've given Henry your poem?"

"Yes, I think so. I'm relieved he enjoyed it."

"Of course he did! There is no reason why he wouldn't!"

Henry's words of gratitude instilled determination in your being.

You wished you could hear them again.

You would strive to see him smile.

"When I grow up, I'm going to be a writer!"

*

(7 September 2021)