3. Then - Quiet Days in Stansbury

You remember it was a quiet day, like any other in Stansbury.

Your chin rested on one hand, you were wiggling your pen between the index and middle fingers of the other one.

You had been anxiously staring at the clock above your teacher's desk for the last fifteen minutes, studying every single second passing at the pointer of the hand.

Feeling them sink into your whole being.

Growing more and more impatient at every tick and tock.

Your heart skipped a beat as the last stroke eventually hit the twelve.

As soon as the bell rang, you hurriedly put your notebooks in your bag before waving to Angela.

"Bye, Angela! See you tonight?"

"Not sure, Randall said he'd got plans."

"No worries, have fun and see you tomorrow!"

"Thanks, catch you then!"

"Hey, (Name)!", one of your classmates interrupts. "Are you skipping today's study group?"

"I'm not skipping anything, it's optional. Moreover, I've completed all my homework."

"W-what?! When did you find the time to write your assignment?"

"When there's a will, there's a way!", you crooned, glancing in anticipation at your watch. "I got to go, see you tomorrow, everyone!"

"Bye, (Name)!", replied a few students, looking at you rush out of the classroom while they were stilll clearing their desks.

"Say, Angela. You two always hang out together, right? Why is (Name) always in a hurry on this day of the week?"

"(Name) has a meeting at the market and doesn't want to miss it!", she admitted with glee.

***

What reason could I give today? You wondered.

Leaving the courtyard, you made a sharp turn after the school gate towards Pebble Lane, on the way to New Market, where the shops were.

You were not running fast, but could still feel your heart dancing at every step.

Unknowingly, after turning in the next street, you met face to face with Henry.

The boy you were looking for.

His blue eyes glinted at the sight of you.

"G-good afternoon, Henry!", you stuttered.

You had expected him having arrived at Old Market already.

You were having a hard time picturing Henry having a stroll around New Market.

You wished he actually had been waiting for you.

"Good afternoon, (Name).", he replied with a gentle smile. "Are you in a rush, today?"

"N-not at all!"

"Oh, very well... Since you were running, I thought that you may have been unavailable."

"I wasn't running. I was practising for the London Marathon."

He gave a chuckle.

"I stand corrected."

"Are you running some errands in the shopping street?"

"Indeed. Mrs Ascot requested that I pick up the items she ordered last week. I will be heading to Old Market soon afterwards."