4. Now - Exhaustions and Investigations

He feels exhausted.

All he wants and needs right now, is to go home and get some sleep.

Restless.

A restless sleep.

He feels restless.

He silently unlocks the door at the back of the mansion, enters and cautiously shuts it behind him.

He notices a ray of light amidst the darkness.

Leaving the room, he walks along the dim corridor and heads to Angela's sun room.

The door is half-open.

He glances inside and sees Angela sitting alone at the table, gazing absent-mindedly at some invisible dot on the wall, with a full cup of tea seemingly untouched in front of her.

"Good evening, Angela."

She suddenly wakes up from her reverie.

"Oh! Good evening, Henry. Sorry, I didn't hear you at all! My mind was very far away a moment ago... For how long have you been standing here?"

"I have just arrived. I didn't expect you to be up at this late hour of the night."

"Is it? I guess you're right... What about you, Henry? You look out of sorts. How bad is it, outside?"

"Sorely. I have spent hours in meetings with hotel managers, the police, tour operators, shopkeepers... None of them can catch a breath, those last days."

"And so do you! Please, let me know if I can be of aid in any way."

"Please, do not concern yourself, Angela. It is my duty to protect you and Monte D'Or."

"And who is here to protect you, Henry? I'm grateful for the intention, but don't forget we're facing this unsettling situation together!"

He cracks a faint smile.

"Thank you kindly. If I may, your tea must have gone cold. Should I warm it up for you?"

"Uh? Oh... no, it's fine. I honestly wasn't even feeling like drinking one. I wasn't thinking clear..."

"Are you all right, Angela?"

"I met Hershel, tonight. It brought me back..."

"Although I still do not understand the reason why you have requested his presence here, I must admit it was very generous of him to have travelled all the way from London to help. How is he?"

"He looked well. I was relieved he didn't resent me because of the past... the horrible things I told him when we were teenagers, and... well, my gut feeling is that Hershel will be of great assistance. By the way, he told me he'd bumped into (Name) on the plazza."

Henry's expression is unreadable.

"Is that so.", he coldly replies.

So even he managed to have an encounter with you, he thinks.

Angela notices a tremor running through Henry's clenched fist. Sensing his sadness, she says:

"By the way, Mr. Moire called earlier. He said the venue was all set up for tomorrow."

"Indeed, I met him a few hours before the incident. He was quite ecstatic. I had a look at the place, it was stunning. I am certain (Name) will be delighted."

"I asked Mordaunt to give my invitation but... I'm worried it remains unanswered. I don't want to miss the chance to see (Name) again after eighteen years... Henry... a-are you willing to... perhaps, attend the event with me? What do you say?", she pleads.