prologue

❝ 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬 𝐚
𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐬 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐨𝐥𝐝, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐨
𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐭. ❞

in which a boy & a girl rekindle an old romance despite the constant obstacles in their way

an old romance despite the constant
obstacles in their way.

OR

in which karima de haan & akeno
menzies fall in love after
persistently denying their fondness
for each other.

I'M KIND OF THE BLACK
SHEEP OF MY FAMILY, Y'KNOW?

❝ I'M KIND OF THE BLACK SHEEP OF MY FAMILY, Y'KNOW? ❞

karima de haan.
" royal k, princess of new york. "

I DON'T LIKE STANDING
OUT, YOU DO.

akeno menzies

akeno menzies.
" a, penthouse prince. "

AS WELL AS . . .
audrey hope.
max wolfe.
obie bergmann.
monet de haan.
julien calloway.
luna la.
zoya lott.
mirlandé bergmann played by
maude apowtow.

PLAYLIST.
i. all my girls like to fight, hope tala.
ii. duvet, boa.
iii. pretty little birds.
iv. seventeen, ladytron.
v. kerosene, crystal castles.
vi. royals, lorde.
vii. lost, frank ocean.
viii. moment, vierre cloud.
ix. jealous girl, lana del rey.
x. sweet dreams, left boy.

000. karima de haan was an ordinary prep school girl. a group of friends, a 9-figure trust fund with her name on it, butlers & maids alert for her very call, & a ( sort of ) boyfriend who loved her. having such a glamorous lifestyle as a young girl helped her adapt to the real world, knowing that she'd never be a "normal" person, but a woman normal people want to be like.

001. the way she carried herself, her image, her friends, & the simple words that left her mouth were merely her only concern. when she wasn't getting drunk out of her mind at dumbo hall with her best friends, she spent most time cuddled up with her fling, akeno menzies.

002. akeno, aki for short, was not like most guys that attended St. Jude's, he was caring to her & nurturing to the girl's fragility. he & karima had known each other since preschool, just like most of the group. like herself, aki did not circle his life around his wealth, instead embracing his hobbies. the pink-haired boy enjoyed skateboarding & sports, enjoying it even more when she would accompany him on his visits to practice or the park. both cherished each other's presence dearly, never wanting to leave the other's side.

003. that was until summer. it's hard to understand how 1 summer abroad broke up their relationship, even harder when you realize that he moved on faster than you can say "italy". when karima's parents decided to take a trip to florence for a few weeks with her sister monet, she was beyond excited! she'd gone thinking that everything would be the same when she came back, but boy was she wrong.

004. she came back to the upper east side to akeno dating her best friend, audrey. it was not audrey's fault— she didn't know, but a part of it sill hurt a little. when she would ask him what happened, he always reverted the subject to something else. that was something he did often to many people, but never to her. that has cut the number of conversations they'd partake in after summer to a number that she could display on her fingers.

005. yeah she could have any boy she wanted, she was a billionaire after all, but for some reason all of them weren't better than 1. it's not like he was extraordinary, but aki had something others didn't. he loved her for her & not to get closer to her friends and such. he embraced her simple 'weirdness' & enjoyed that she wasn't as materialistic as the other girls at Constance.  so that raises the question, how will their relationship piece back together.

xoxo, gossip girl.

_______
AUTHOR'S NOTE.
this book might be going on a
little revamp (only the earlier chapters)
so i can change stuff that was
addressed later in the show.

9th grade is going so good (slayyy)
& i actually love my life rn and when
i first started this book i absolutely
hated it and you could very much tell 😭.