Chapter 5

Tap...Tap...Tap...Tap... As we waited for call-backs, Tara tapped her foot, while I shook my leg at an uncontrollable, almost unnatural pace. I laid down a beautiful trip, and all I could do was wait, as the next 50 riders went, and then the judges decided. As I waited, I thought about how lucky I was, already at this show, I was champion in the large juniors with Perry, reserve in the small juniors with Dreamer, and won two classes in the high juniors with Sparky. But I couldn't stop thinking about the "psycho" horse that Tara ended up buying for Sam.

        He was already way too much for her. We took the blinders and earplugs out the second he stepped off the trailer. And the second we took them out, it was like sensory overload. All of the sudden it was like he had never seen a bush or tree before, and decided they were horse-eating serial killers. Need I say how the riding went? No? Good, because it scares me to think about how hard his mouth has been yanked on and how one of these days Sam is going to get seriously hurt. Jen must have done some serious damage, seeing how he is afraid of a cross-rail, and when he actually jumps it, he does it at like 100mph. But it's like Tara put the blinders on herself. She is totally oblivious to the fact that it's not working out, nor do I ever think it will. At least he hadn't racked up enough points to qualify for Harrisburg, so they didn't bring him. 

        I shifted my eyes back to the ring, just in time to see Teddy and his new owner stride into the ring. She bought him 2 weeks ago on a whim, and they were a match made in heaven. A smile slipped into the place that previously held the super-serious-I-got-to-win-this straight face. As they finished their round, I cheered loudly. They did pretty good for only working together for 2 weeks. She smiled and lavished him with praise. If only Moose (yes, that was "psycho's" name. I voted otherwise...), could get a home like that. If only Sam could love him for what he was now, instead of only loving the blue ribbons she thought he could win. Tears stung my eyes, as I thought of how many times in 3 weeks, Sam has said how much she "hates" him. He didn't deserve that. 

        I was shaken out of my thoughts, as an announcement came over the loud speakers, "We have come to the decision of the twelve riders to return for further testing," my heart was beating uncontrollably. This was it. "We would like the following riders to return: Mackenzie Smith, Sarah Woodley, Anna Greene, Hailey Peterson, Chloe Gregory, Taylor Monroe," He continued to list off names but I drowned them out. I made it. I beamed at Tara, but my smile soon disappeared as I realized something. I was seventh. Which means to make into the top four, I needed to lay down a heck of a trip. 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Sorry guys, this was another iffy chapter, but I included Harrisburg earlier in the story, so I didn't want to just skip it! Please comment anything I could improve on, and vote if you like it! Thank you so much for reading!!!!