Ch.10 Green Eyes

Chapter 10

"What?" Nora tried to pull her hand away, but Udara wouldn't let go.

The queen's face paled as she began to mutter to herself in shock. Afet rushed to her side and placed a comforting hand on Udara's shoulder.

"What do we do now?" Afet asked, her voice shaken.

"Nora," Udara looked up and pulled her closer. Her eyes pleaded with the girl as she asked, "Tell me truthfully, who marked you?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Nora shook her head, struggling to pull her hand back.

"You're bound to a fey!" Udara said in frustration. "Who did this to you?"

Nora gasped, "Bound to a fey? I've never even met a fey in my lif-"

Hayden.

Nora clamped her mouth shut as her eyes widened. Udara caught the little change and placed both of her hands against Nora's face like a child.

"Who was it?" She asked. "Who did this to you?"

"What does it mean?" Nora wondered.

"Did Samara teach you nothing?" Udara's calm voice disappeared. She began to shout in rage as she backed away from Nora and threw off Afet's hand.

"Udara," Arsenio said, seeing the fear in Nora's eyes. "It's not the girl's fault. She truly has no idea what is going on here."

"Then teach her!" Udara snapped. "Take her away and tell her the responsibility that rests on her shoulder."

Nora's eyes flickered to Arsenio. She knew she should be breaking the charm hanging from her neck but her body was numb with fear. She had no idea what anyone was talking about and the warmth beneath her skin seemed to be amplifying.

"Nora," Arsenio held up his hand. "Come with me. Let's get you cooled down."

"What about the Shajara?" Afet looked around the room, her long glossy hair swinging around.

"She's marked," Arsenio looked at Udara. "Can she still give blood?"

"She'll need to be purified," Udara said, without turning to look back at them. Her back was stiff and her shoulders tense. "Maybe it'll cleanse off the mark on her and maybe her blood will still be good."

Afet and Arsenio looked at each other before looking back at Nora.

"But before we do any of that, I need to know who would defy my commands and mark a vestal," Udara looked over her shoulder. "Find out who's mark she wears. Bring them to me."

"I told you I don't know!" Nora stepped forward.

Hayden.....

Nora? Hayden's frantic call to her was like a punch to her chest.

"That's impossible," Udara said. "A fey mark isn't as simple as a wolf's. Trust me, you know exactly who did this to you. You just think you don't."

Nora, what's going on? Are you hurt? Where are you?

Nora began to shiver as she thought of the way Hayden had held her in his arms the day she fell from the balcony. She was shrouded in his warmth, feeling each and every one of his heartbeat as if it was her own.

Had he really marked her? Did he know what he was doing?

Nora? Hayden's voice snapped her out of her thoughts. Where are you? Please, just come home. Tell me where you are and I'll come find you.