Ch.13 Silver

Chapter 13

After her chaotic breakfast with Udara, Nora had plans to spend the day either in her room contemplating how her life had gone so downhill or spend some time helping out with the children in the hall. But when Arsenio stopped her in the halls and asked if she wanted to visit her parent's cottage by the edge of town, Nora couldn't help but jump on board.

"Does anyone live there?" She asked, following the old man down the stairs.

"No," Arsenio shook his head. "It has been locked since the day your mother went missing."

Nora felt a shiver of dread run down her spin. She wondered what else she would learn about herself. It seemed whenever she tried to uncover anything from her past, it only brought more complication to her life.

As they neared the double doors to the fortress, Arsenio came to a stop in front of a young man with impressive height and broad shoulders. Nora looked up at the guy's chestnut hair and crooked nose, feeling an odd sense of knowing the set of brown eyes.

"Noah, this is Nico," Arsenio said. "My son."

"Hello," Nora gave a small smile.

"Nice to meet you," Nico lowered his head in a nod.

"Nico will show you to your parents cottage," Arsenio said, patting his son's shoulder. "The long walk isn't good for my knees."

"Oh, are you sure?" Nora asked. "I don't mind going another day or something."

"No, it's alright," Arsenio said. "You two go on ahead."

Nora looked at Nico, who stared at his father with an odd expression on his face.

"Go, go," Arsenio said, practically pushing the two out the door. "Nico, make sure you take the road through town. Not the backroads. They're muddy."

"Will do," Nico said, not looking at his father.

Nora did not say much as she began to follow the boy down the cobblestone path that led directly into town. Her yellow rain boots were heavy but absolutely necessary. The road was covered in puddles and mud.

"You like our island so far?" Nico asked as they navigated down the hill.

"Haven't seen much of it," Nora confessed. "I only got here like yesterday. Or I think...I don't know, time feels weird."

"Where did you live before?" Nico slowed to make sure Nora could keep up.

"Romania," Nora said, her eyes on the road to make sure she didn't slip or fall into any puddle. "Well....actually no."

Nico waited as Nora took a small pause and looked up.

"My apartment in Romania was destroyed by one of the older Guardians," she said.

"Rita," Nico scratched the back of his neck. "I heard."

"Yeah," Nora nodded. "So I guess I don't have a home....I mean, I'm not homeless. I've been living with Hay-.....a friend and his family. But wait, that does make me homeless."

"You can live in your parents cottage now," Nico shrugged.

"Here?" Nora arched her brow. "On the island?"

"Well, yeah..." Nico said. "You plan on going back?"

"Yes," Nora frowned. "I have a life out there. I have a job. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be the employee of the month, but that's beside the point."

"Did you tell Udara that?" Nico asked.

"I assumed they knew..." Nora began to feel a stream of anxiety trickle down her mind. Her hand automatically flew up to her necklace as she rubbed the charm with her thumb.