Prologue ✦ IV-VII

Line to line, your eyes skim the text of a leather-bound book that described countries, cities, towns, etc., in this world you were in. A soft sigh escapes you as you rest your head on the palm of your hand.

One thing was confirmed, at least with all your searching:

Toto, you have a feeling you're not on Earth anymore.

Feeling your eyes strain from all the reading and searching down aisles and aisles of books, you decide to take a break. Raising your head, you glance around the library decorated with paintings, statues, vases, and even levitating tomes. Then you shift your gaze to the table you currently sat at with Crowley, books piled high and some close to collapsing scattered about the wooden surface.

A frown twists your features as you address the masked man, "Have you managed to find anything, Mr. Crowley?"

You knew his answer before he shook his head, "No, there really isn't anything." Leaning back in his chair, he crosses his arms and gazes at the book in front of him, "Not only the world map but the name of your home and the places you were at isn't written in any history."

Another sigh, more soul-crushed than ever, escapes you again, "There's nothing on my end either."

Lifting his gaze to you, the headmage interrogates you, "Are you truly from where you say? You aren't lying to me by chance?"

You raise an eyebrow at his accusation, "Would I really lie about where I'm from? I have nothing to gain with remaining at a school I can't enroll in. And... And I just want to go home..."

"Ah, I'm truly sorry for accusing, Miss [L/N]," his tone changes quickly at your sorrowful comment at the end of your sentence, "But looking at all this, you may have somehow been brought here from another planet... There's also the possibility you're from another dimension."

"Unfortunately, I was thinking the same thing." Rubbing your arm for comfort, you try to think positive in your current situation and not break down into a sobbing mess.

"What did you have on you when you came here? Do you have any identification, like a license for a magic car, name on a shoe..." He studies you for a moment, "You appear empty-handed."

You nod at his deduction, "Yup, my phone, wallet, and other things I had on me are gone." Then, raising a hand to rub your temple, you mutter, "I really wish I had my phone... Then I could try to contact my sister or parents."

Crowley seemed to hear your muttering as he dug something out of his pocket and presented it to you, "Here, try giving a family member a call. It could help us with this goose chase."

"Thank you!" You gently take the device from his hands and start dialing your mother's number first.

Couldn't be reached.

Then, you dialed your father's number.

Nothing.

Next, your sister.

Not even a voicemail.

Finally, your grandmother.

To your utter heartbreak, the number couldn't be found either.

You quickly cover your eyes with the sleeves of your robes to try to prevent the impending tears. Then, with a trembling hand, you hold out the phone back to Crowley, who you feel tenderly take the device away.

"This is concerning." You hear Crowley utter to himself, "I can't let someone who isn't qualified stay at this school. However, as an educator, I can't just toss a penniless teenager out on the street with no form of communication. For I am gracious." He hums in thought while you try to rein in the muffled sobs escaping you, "Ah, right! Don't worry, Miss [L/N]! There is an unused building on campus."