Prologue ✦ XIV-XVI

Eyes fluttering open, you gaze upon an entirely new scenery that wasn't close to the blinding white that entranced you. Surrounding you is a forest with towering trees, vibrant brush that crowded the soil, and the sprouting of tiny, white flowers that made residence away from the undergrowth. No doubt this scene would be lovely in the day, but unfortunately, the sun was not lighting up the forest at this time. Only the moon gave you some light in the shadows of the lumbering trees.

"This place is kinda creepy..." An anxious whisper escapes Grim, who was still on your shoulder.

The feline wasn't the only one creeped out at this scenery; you were too. The fingers of a frigid breeze caressed your cheeks and hands which provoked an uncontrollable shiver to rack through you. The symphony of whispers produced from the branches of trees spoke of things you could not translate, and the shadows produced by the moon bent and twisted to form menacing figures that did not match their owners.

"This is the correct place, right?" You inquire in a whisper.

"Ugh, it should be." With a groan of annoyance, Ace moves beside you.

"Hm, I don't see a mine anywhere near us." You comment as your gaze sweeps the area.

At your words, Deuce moves up to the other side of you. At least you know that everyone made it through the mirror.

Once giving the area a once over to confirm your words, Deuce speaks, "We should walk around and try to find the mine."

You nod in compliance while Grim grumbles in agreeance. The feline obviously does not want to walk around in this eerie forest, and you secretly feel the same.

"Well, I don't see any other choice." Ace sighs with a gentle shake of his head.

Treading through the densely populated shrubs of the forest, you all look for the Dwarf's Mine. The landscape wasn't getting any less spooky, and you could feel Grim press himself closer to your body and head. A whine escapes his throat, "Feels like something could jump out..."

"It's okay, Grim." You gently stroke Grim's head with your index finger. "Nothing like that will happen." The feline's tense expression slacks slightly at your gestures of comfort, but he still kept close to your form.

Wow, you two got quite a bit friendlier with each other if he's allowing you to pet him and cling to you. Or, he's just scared out of his mind to realize the sign of trust and affection between you two. Either way, it made you happy.

"Oh, there's a house back there!" Ace's exclamation draws your attention. You move up beside the redhead to spot the house he mentioned. Past the trees, you spot a dirt path leading to a moss-covered bridge draped over a brook. Looking further, you finally spot the house, which looked more like a cottage. Even in the dark, you could see how rundown and taken over by plant life it was. "Let's go ask them about the mine."

"You really think people could still live there?" You raise a brow and glance at Ace, who only shrugged.

"Hey, you never know."

"Fair enough."

Stepping over bushes, the four of you trudge over to the dirt path, but when you made it to the bridge, you hesitated. "Is this thing strong enough to hold anyone anymore?" You inquire and gently press against the dark, moss-covered wood with your foot to test its stability.

"I'd rather take a chance than cross the stream. I don't want my uniform to get wet." Ace hastily replies before crossing over the bridge. To your disappointment, the rickety-looking wood doesn't break and plunge the redhead into the water.

From beside you, Deuce speaks, "I'll cross it before you to double-check it's safe, uh... [Y/N]?" His brows furrow as a questioning look appears on his features as he said your name.