Prologue ✦ VIII-X

Wrapped in the comforting embrace of sleep, you dreamt of being home again. Your sister at the kitchen table painted a scene from her vivid imagination while you sprinkled basil onto a freshly cooked dish you prepared. However, the scene couldn't continue as something roused you from your slumber.

Eyelids still shut, you become more aware of your surroundings in reality. Rattling in your earlobes was a giggle and then a voice, "Don't you two have to be up to clean the school?"

The grasp of drowsiness slipped as you jolted up into a sitting position. In the bedroom, you feverishly cleaned last night so that you could sleep, floated the ghosts that threatened you in the hallway.

Scared stiff on the bed, you try to get the feline's attention, who was curled up by your feet, "G-Grim? Wake up, please."

Unfortunately, Grim mumbled incoherent words and turned in his slumber, "Five more minutes..."

The short ghost reprimands Grim's attitude, "Laze about too long, and you'll never wake up again."

"Just like us!" The plump one joins in with a shrill laugh.

Hearing the ghost's booming vocals, Grim finally wakes up with a gasp, "It's those ghosts again!"

"Are you two going to be living here? Hope you like pranks as much as we do!" The ghost with skeletal features laughs, but something inside you snaps at the thought of the potential pranks ruining all the hard work you did with the cleaning.

"Listen," the ghosts chuckles cease at your tone, "I understand we're basically intruders since you've lived in this dorm way longer than us, but you need to accept us as fellow tenants now. So no pranking, okay? Especially messy ones!"

"No pranking...?" The short one seemed lost upon the request.

"Why would we–?" The skeletal ghost never finished as you quickly interrupted him.

"If you don't listen to me, I'll do everything in my power to exorcise you from this building the moment you lay one prank upon us. Is that clear?" You give the ghosts a stern stare while they look shaken with terror.

"Y-Yes, Miss! No pranks! Especially messy ones!" The plump one yelps out while nodding furiously.

A pleased smile makes its way on your lips, "Good! I'll also make you all some food since it's unfair for me to force ourselves in your home. Kind of like a housewarming gift, but to signify we're your new roommates? Is there a word for it?" But then, you pause as you think of a crucial detail, "Wait, can you eat food?"

All three ghosts brightened at the prospect of getting a meal. The skeleton featured one nodded, "If you make a certain potion containing ghost orchids or resurrection lilies, and pour it on food–"

"We'll be able to eat it!" The short one finishes the sentence. 

"It's called Ghosts' Meal, I think?" The plump ghost tries to recall the name of the potion.

"Hm, alright. I'll look up the recipe in the library." Once you take in the information, you question the phantoms, "Do you guys have any food in mind for me to make?"

"Oh! I want mooncake!"

"I haven't had a tray kebab in so long..."

"Any dish with steak works for me!"

"Oh, oh! I want a tuna dish!"

Wait, that last one wasn't the ghosts.

"Grim, you're already getting something, so shush!" The feline grumbles and crosses his arms in displeasure. Shaking your head, you turn back to the ghosts, "By the way, what are your names?"