lines

Your stomach felt like it was going to turn inside out. You felt like at any minute you were gonna hurl. You pushed off of Tom and ran to the bathroom at full speed, putting a hand to your mouth in nausea. You flung open the bathroom door and fell to the toilet, opening the lid and throwing up into the bowl. You heard footsteps behind you and felt someone brush over your neck to hold back your hair for you. You could tell it was Bernadine. You threw up for kind of a long time, and eventually fell back onto the edge of the bath. Where the fuck had that come from? You felt a bit tired and down today but you'd just assumed it was because of Tom's impending sentence, and stress like this did you not you puke. You were used to stress. Very used to it. You threw your head back in exhaustion.
"What the hell was that?" Bernadine asked, cocking her head slightly at you. You sighed and shrugged.
"I have no idea, dude. I just started to feel violently ill super suddenly, it was really weird." You said groggily. A very worried looking Tom appeared in the doorway, rushing over to sit on the edge of the tub, placing the back of his hand to your forehead.
"God, you're green, y/n. Are you okay?" Tom asked, brushing your sweat soaked hair from your forehead. You nodded.
"She threw up." Bernadine told him. Tom shot you a look and furrowed his brows.
"Do you think you're gonna throw up again?" Tom asked. You paused for a moment, considering how you felt.
"Not sure. If I'm gonna leave the bathroom I should probably take a puke bucket just in case though." You muttered. Tom nodded.
"Alright, Bernadine, can you get her upstairs to the bedroom? I'll grab a bucket and a towel and stuff." He spoke as he helped you stand to your feet. You swayed a bit, but he held you steady. Bernadine nodded.
"Sure thing." She replied. Tom transferred you onto Bernadine's arm, and she led you up to the square bed. You changed into your nightdress, and got into bed, still feeling like absolute shit. Bernadine left, and then came back with Tom, who had some stuff in a bucket. He saw your struggle, and immediately placed a cool towel on your forehead.
"There's a bucket and a towel to your left, okay? Just rest for a bit, and you'll feel better." Tom soothed, caressing the side of your face. Bernadine turned off the main light in the room and switched on the lamp, so it was just dark enough for you to fall asleep, but still lit warmly so you could see Tom and Bernadine's faces. Tom looked worried.
"Do you want me to stay with you?" Tom asked. You took a deep breath, trying to get through your present stomach cramp.
"I don't wanna get you sick." You croaked out. Tom shook his head.
"I don't care. If you need me I can stay." He remarked. You were surprised at his earnestness. He was usually pretty selfish. You exhaled and smiled up at him.
"I'm sweaty and gross, but if you can stay that would be helpful." You whispered to him. He turned back to Bernadine, who looked even more concerned than you were.
"You don't have to stay, tell everyone she's alright." Tom told her. She bit her lip.
"Actually, could I talk to her alone for a sec?" Bernadine asked. Tom nodded.
"Yeah sure. I'll be right back y/n." He said, leaning down to press a kiss to your sweaty forehead. He left and Bernadine took his place, sitting on the bed.
"Hey, I don't wanna freak you out, but when's the last time you got your period?" She asked. Your heart dropped. You felt more sweat pooring down your face as you realized how long it had been since you'd had your time of the month.
"God fucking dammit." You hissed under your breath. You didn't know for sure, but if you were pregnant, this was probably the worst thing that could've happened. The worst possible thing. Bernadine saw how stressed you'd become and grabbed your hand in comfort.
"Hey, hey, it's ok, just chill. You don't know for sure. You could've just had shit food at navy pier, don't stress man." She said. You nodded. She was right. You didn't want to jump to any conclusions. Plus, you were too sick to comprehend or think too hard about anything, so you decided that you'd leave the stress for the morning. Despite that, you felt a sudden need for your comfort person.
"Can you get Tom?" You squeaked out. Bernadine nodded and left to find him. Tom came in the room and few minutes later and gave you a warm smile. He hadn't seemed to have considered the possibility of your pregnancy yet, judging by how calm he was being. Or, maybe he had, but was really good at hiding it. Either way, you appreciated how good he was being in this situation. He took his sweater off, stripped down to his underwear and slipped on a white shirt. He turned off the lamp, crawled into bed with you, and scooted over to spoon you gently. You melted into his embrace. His arms were unlike anything you'd ever experienced. They were healing and warm, making you instantly feel slightly better. You felt very at home there and wished that you could live in it forever. You decided to ask him a question that'd been on your mind for quite some time.
"Tom?" You whispered.
"Yeah?" He replied.
"Do you think you'll get married again someday?" You asked. He shifted and paused for a bit.
"Doubt anyone would be willing to marry into the buttfuck that's my life, but maybe." He whispered back, kissing the tip of your earlobe. You wanted to ask if he would want to marry you, but knew that it wouldn't be the right thing to do. Plus, you were scared to know the answer. You knew in your heart that it probably wouldn't be possible for that to happen for you guys, as you couldn't wait 10 whole years for your life to start, and Tom wouldn't let you even if you tried, but it was still nice to imagine what it would be like. Painful, but nice.
"Go to sleep, y/n." Tom told you rubbing your arm gently.
"I'll try. Can I wake you up if I need to puke again? I'll need a hair holder." You giggled. He chuckled softly.
"Yeah, you can. Now sleeeep." He said, jokingly running his hand down your face to try and rest your features. You drifted off peacefully, Tom's fingers tracing circles into your arm.

You woke up the next morning feeling just as shitty as you'd felt the night before. You found Tom to be missing from your side. You must've slept late. You felt a wave of nausea wash over you, and you rolled over to grab the puke bucket. You threw up into it, and felt a bit better after. Bernadine must've heard you, because you heard a knock and saw her walk in with a plastic bag from Walgreens. She sat down and pulled out a disposable pregnancy test. She gave you a sympathetic look, and looked down at the puke bucket, making a disgusted face.
"Uh, this is for you, just in case, ya know." She said, setting it on your bedside table. You instantly gave it back to her.
"Tom can't see this. Even if it's positive, he won't know. That would be way too much for him." You hissed. Bernadine nodded.
"Yeah you're right. Best keep it between us. Whenever your ready to take it, you can." She added. You exhaled and cracked your knuckles.
"Might as well just get it over with now." You sighed. You slowly got up and stretched out, rolling your neck. You stood up, took the test from Bernadine and shoved it down your bra, making sure it was invisible to the naked eye. You made your way to the bathroom, sat down, and did what you needed to do to take the test. You sat it down on the sink counter, and waited. You felt a nervous sweat start to take over your body, and you bit your fingernails anxiously. This was high stakes. If it was positive, you'd have to either put a kid up for adoption, or raise one by yourself. Neither sounded like good options. You were really, really, really hoping for negative. Once the required time had passed, the time had come for you to look. You hesitated for a minute or so, understanding that the results of this tiny stick could alter your entire life. You finally mustered up the courage to look, and felt your entire world sink down upon you when you saw two stark lines appear before you.