Chapter 3

"Tell her I'm admitted or something"

"Kimberly!"

"Make something up...just don't tell her it's because of Josh" She knows very well amongst all other things making things up is one thing I'm not good at.
We've been on the phone for over an hour and now I'm at the airport.

"I'll try"

"Safe trip....I miss you already"

"I'll be back next week" I roll my eyes, it's not like she gives me any breathing space while I'm here.

"Sure you will" she mumbled with a shred of doubt

"Meaning?" If it's what I think they're all in for a big shock because I'm not the same naive girl I was ten years ago.

"Nothing...just have fun, forget about studies a bit and chill" Forgetting about studies would really be hard because I brought my laptop along.

"Mmmm" I mutter

"Make sure to FaceTime when you get there?"

"That will be video call"

"Yeah whatever they call it there"

"Ma'am should I just drop it here?" The Uber driver asks, I totally forgot that he had already brought out my luggage and he was there waiting on me, so he could leave.

"Anne I have to go"

"Okay...bye,I love you"

"Love you" as I hurriedly hung up and shoved my phone at the back of my jean pocket.

"I'm sorry for keeping you waiting...I'll handle it from here, thank you" he trailed the single box to where I stood. As heavy as it looks I only had my night gown, some few change clothing, Kim's gift to Eniola, and oh I'm ready for whatever my mom's going to say.

"Save journey then" he entered his uber and rode off.

My heart is pounding not because of my mum but for the fact that I would be meeting her side of the family after almost two decades. My heart bleeds and I still haven't found a space of forgiveness for them, what most of them put my mother through during her divorce still lives rent free in my head..funny how I've held that against them for so long and my mother who almost had trauma during those periods forgave them so easily, saying those times were trying times and they were all playing their parts. She has this adage she says in her dialect " Family tik dea Ben but e nor dea brok" meaning "How ever a family would quarrel, fight and what not at the end of it all they'll work it out" which is a frantic deceptive lie,some family members are leeches who needs to be cropped off. There was one time one of them called me asking why haven't I been calling them and why haven't they been seeing photos of me on social media...it's the audacity for me, don't know who gave that one my number___my mother of course. Why don't I post on social media? They are literally one of the reasons why, because they're looking for the slightest thing to pry upon and I wouldn't give them the pathway to. Mupu on the other hand doesn't really care, he posts what ever he sees fit,and he's ready for any comment__He has a bad mouth, which is one of the things we're all afraid of him for, he doesn't pick his words and he's twenty-four hours ready to tell anyone off. I'm sure mom will be coaxing him right now so he won't cuss one of them out. Dad's side? Far more better, they don't care and they don't pretend to expect Nana she's too old to hold grudges.

I just want this wedding to be a peaceful experience at least for Enny, because there's no way black people would have a gathering without screw ups.

"You'll be fine Anne, it's just a few days with Mom and some familiar faces "I assure myself as the automatic door opens and I enter into the crowded airport.