Chapter 4

Well I thought it was just going to be an immediate family dinner but there are tons of people here I can hardly keep track of. Enny's mother-in-law is not as tough as she said she is, when Enny introduced me to her she spoke to me nicely and even offered me a invite to their main Manson in Lekki.. maybe she doesn't want me to get a bad first impression of her. Her attitude is so degreeing, she has a Nigeria accent but even at that you could tell she's well published and educated. The second I saw her I knew she was a woman of class, I was told she is in her early fifties but she looked way young and pretty.

Africans, especially Nigerians, Igbos to be specific do not and probably will never see weddings as a simple event that two or four people could be a witness of and within an hour it's done with. Sadly I wasn't here for the engagement which I'm sure was as grand as this, if not more than this. There's so much food, just the sight of it could fill you up eventually.... but tasting is believing I wouldn't embarrass myself by filling up my plate and choking myself like a hungry cheetah from NYC, but I will for sure eat as much as my belly can contain. Kelvin's aunt studied catering in The United kingdom, and she was sure to show her skills quite well...there are all sorts of dishes both local and continental, a bite of the chicken wings took me to fine places, she owns a restaurant in Maryland I was told which will be my next spot the next time I visit Aunty Ghattah.
Over at the other end of the compound was a set stage where a live band was performing. Just by this I could tell that this wedding is not going to be as quiet as Enny said it would be, see eh! money isn't everything but it's availability is a necessity I mean look at all these rich people.

"You cleaned up nicely" a deep male voice spoke behind my ear and I shivered I turn to see who it was and to my expectation it was none other than Olufemi, I hope he can't see the goosebumps which were emerging on my skin and how hot my chicks are right now.
I cleared my throat trying to adjust myself so he wouldn't notice, my eyes can't see pass how dashing he looks, he is in a plain grey Ankara, his broad shoulders held the fabric so well, not too tight not too loose just perfect. My eyes narrowed down and could see his clean whitish toes in a fine brown leather slippers, you know those thick leather slippers? don't know how much they cost here but in NYC it's a fortune, bought one for Mupu for his culture day last year and it took a sweat out of me just for him to tell me the sleepers were old fashion, sometimes it comes to mind to murder that kid but jail is not an option, well the sleepers are in my closet for a rainy day.

I roll my eyes and shock my head... he's obviously teasing me but I did clean up nicely, I'm in a straight black gown I bought last year's Christmas, had never worn it but I spent a bull's money to purchase it. Thank God I brought it along because everyone here looks expensive and I'm not about to look like the regular broke ass sprinster I am in NYC.

"Compared to the Cess in High school you look great"

"For someone who has a girlfriend as pretty as yours you shouldn't be flirting with me" I ache a brow at him

"Oh you've met Barb" Barb?... Why do I have this feeling of jealousy? She's his girlfriend of course he has a pet name for her.

"...And I'm not flirting with you, it's a mere compliment" he smirks

"Save it I don't need it"

"Sure"

"Yeah" there are tons of people here, he could go pest just about anyone.

"Why do you hate me?" he breaks the emerging silence and I'm struck by his question. I don't hate him I had totally forgotten about him not until last month and if he wasn't following me around we wouldn't be having this conversation.

"I don't hate you, I just don't like you"

He lingered a bit on what I said before he could respond "That's just about the same thing"