Chapter 16

"Red leader, this is Gold leader. We're starting our attack run." Anakin spoke over the headset. "Copy that, Gold leader. Move into position." Red leader said.

Moments prior, the rebel ships had destroyed as many surface cannons as they could. Hardly being hit by any cannons caused the imperials to send out a squadron after them. The rebels were able to destroy the ships that came after them, but resulted in a few losses. 

"The exhaust port is marked and locked in." Red leader announced. Anakin and his squad, including Luke, flew down into the trench of the surface of the station. Clicking a few controls to stabilize his ship, Anakin paused.

He felt her. She was close. He just didn't know where.

"Move all power to the front deflector screen." Red leader informed. The fighters did so, avoiding the blasts from the cannons. The rebels had five minutes until the Death Star was in range of the rebel base. "Switch to targeting computer." Red leader said. 

"Computer's locked. I'm getting a signal." A man announced. The guns suddenly stopped firing. "Stabilize your rear deflectors and watch for enemy fighters." Anakin declared. "They're coming in. Three marks at 210." Someone said. 

Anakin could feel her more intensely now. Looking to his left, he saw the three fighters. In the middle was her ship. 

Lowering themselves behind him and the fighters, Anakin warned, "Kreia's in the lead behind us. Be careful." Once he said her name, he could sense Luke's uncomfortableness. He didn't blame him- being hunted down by your mother who wants to kill anyone in her way would do that to a person.

Kreia shot one of the men down, leaving only some left in the pursuit. "I can't maneuver." A man said in a rush as they closed in on him. "Stay on target." Red leader voiced. "We're too close!" The man shouted. "Stay on target." He repeated. "Loosen up!" The man yelled before he was shot down. 

Red leader flew up out of the shaft. "Gold leader, this is Red leader. Lost Tiree, lost Hutch. They came from behind." He informed, then got shot and crashed into the surface. Anakin was the only leader left. 

"All right men, this is what we're gonna do. Rendezvous at mark 6.1, Drex, Cop, and Grant, you stay above the surface in case we get shot down. Biggs, Wedge, Luke, and I will go in. Copy that?" Anakin asked. The men confirmed they're understanding.

Lowering themselves into the shaft, they started their run. Anakin lead with Luke next to him. Heavy cannon fire made it difficult to avoid, but not impossible. "Be wary about those enemy fighters. I don't see them. Grant, do any of you see them?" Biggs questioned.

"No, wait. Coming in .35." He answered. "I see them." Luke spoke, looking to his upper left. "We're in range. Focus on the targeting computer." Wedge announced. "I'm almost there." Biggs went faster, making him in the lead. "Biggs, no!" Blasts from behind hit Biggs, shooting him down. 

"Shit." Anakin said under his breath. "Men, get down here. Take care of the fighters as best as you can." The men confirmed, "Copy that, Gold leader."

"Luke and Wedge, close in formation. We have to go in and do this now." Anakin looked into his targeting computer, seeing that they were getting close. "We're right with you, boss." Wedge spoke. "My scopes show the tower, but not the exhaust port." Luke said. They were nearing a cannon, firing heavy shots at them.

"Increase speed, full throttle." Anakin announced. "What about that tower?" Cop asked. "You worry about the fighters, I'll worry about the tower." Anakin answered. On his controls, he saw a flashing sign for his stabilizer. "R2, that stabilizer has broken loose, try to see if you can lock it down." 

"Fighters, coming in .3." Drex stated. Behind them, Anakin heard the shots. "I'm hit, I can't stay with you." Grant said. "Pull up, Grant. You can't do anymore good back there," Luke said. "Sorry." Grant apologized, leaving the men. The imperial fighters stayed on the rest, letting Grant go. 

"Hurry guys. They're coming in way faster this time. We wont be able to hold them." Cop mentioned. "R2, try to increase the power." The fighters behind them were getting closer. "Hurry up, Anakin. Quick!" Cop voiced before exploding.

Looking behind him, he saw Kreia on him. Averting his eyes to his targeting computer, he saw they were close. However, he wasn't confident in the computer's abilities to read. "Luke, turn off the targeting computer. You're taking this shot."

"But without the computer, how will I see where the port is?" Luke had fear in his voice. "The Force, Luke. Trust in it. It will guide you. I'll deal with Kreia." Anakin answered. 

Anakin slowed down, letting Luke go ahead of him. "Anakin, Luke's computer is off. Is he okay?" A man from the rebel base asked over the headset. "He'll be perfectly fine. Trust me." Anakin smirked. 

-

"Kreia, the rebel base is in range." Tarkin spoke in her ear. 

Kreia stayed quiet. She didn't want them to destroy the planet where her daughter is on. Call it motherly love, or whatever else. She didn't want her daughter to die when she had just gotten her back. "Very well." She gritted through her teeth. 

"You may fire when ready." She heard him say.

Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes. Trying to search and reestablish the connection that they had so long ago, Kreia tried to reach out to Anakin. Not being able to, she tried harder to light the spark, until she did. "Hurry. They're in range."

-

"Hurry. They're in range." Anakin heard from the Force. He was shocked. Luke was right. Y/n is still alive. 

"Y/n?"  

There was no reply. As much as she wanted to call out to him to save her, she couldn't. Not when she was a threat to everyone she loved. She knew the Emperor would be displeased for her actions, and she would have to go face him. She didn't want him to track her down with her family. 

Behind him, one of the ships beside Kreia's was shot. "Woohoo!" Han yelled over the headset. Diverting his eyes, he saw the Falcon come closer from leaving hyperspace. Looking back at Kreia, he saw Han shoot the ship next to her. The ship hit Kreia's, malfunctioning her ship to cause her to spin away from them. Luckily, she wasn't destroyed.

"Luke, you're all clear." Anakin turned his attention towards him, flying the ship out of the shaft. "Let's blow this thing and go home." Han spoke over the mic. 

Pressing down on his controls, Luke released the ion torpedos. Lifting himself up, he exhaled. 

Flying away from the Death Star, it suddenly blew up before it let out a blast at the planet. "Great shot, kid! That was one in a million!" Han exclaimed. "Amazing shot, Luke." Anakin was proud of his son.

"Remember, the Force will be with you, always." Obi Wan spoke to Luke through the Force.

Anakin looked behind him, seeing Kreia stabilize her ship. She flew away, then went into hyperspace. He couldn't deny the feeling of his warm heart. She was still here; y/n is still alive. The thought made Anakin grin. 

-

Hopping down from their ships, people cheered and clapped for them. Anakin and Luke ran and embraced each other in a big hug. Leia and Han ran over to them. Hugging each other, they laughed. "I knew you'd come back." Luke said to Han. "I wasn't gonna let you take all the credit and reward." Han laughed. "I knew there was more to you than money." Leia hugged Han. 

Anakin walked away, leaning against a wall. "You did well, Anakin." A familiar voice spoke. "Well, I have my Master to thank." Anakin smirked at the Force ghost next to him. "She's alive, Obi Wan. Y/n can be saved." Obi Wan voiced, "Do what you must, Anakin. She needs you." 

"I will. I promised him." Anakin watched Luke. "The Force will be with you, my old friend." Obi Wan spoke, then disappeared. 

Leia ran over to Anakin, grabbing his hand. "Come on, old man. You get credit too." Anakin grinned down at his daughter, "Whatever you say."