the domino effect ; chloe

chapter 3//

Chloe smiled as she walked in to first period, Maddie at her side. No one could tell Maddie was there, of course, so they sent Chloe lone smiles.
"Hey, Chlobird." Josh said. Chloe smiled at him, her cheeks warming up.
"How's Maddie?" Josh asked. Chloe gives him a brief synopsis of the morning's events, letting Maddie pitch in at moments in the story: relaying what she says to Josh. When Chloe had first told Josh, he had developed this foreign protectiveness about Maddie: constantly wondering how she was doing or if she was still there. Maddie found it perplexing as well: she had confided in Chloe on a stormy Wednesday night. Maddie had this sickening form of affection for him, something she had yet to experience. It made her feel more intouch: more alive. It led her to appreciate the warmth that spread through her body, her heart hurting everytime he forgot to ask, which was rarely, in his defensive. But Maddie would not let him get close.
"I've been hurt too many times before, Chloe. No one changes, the person they may change into was the person they were all along. And that truely, is the most devastating part of being betrayed." Maddie had told her one evening, a sunnier one. The sentence alone was enough to send shudders down Chloe's spine. She's learned to fear the dark, vacant look in Maddie's eyes, because it broke her heart. Maddie was truely an old soul: Chloe sometimes wondered if Maddie should have been implanted in the stars as a beautiful constellation and got caught in Chloe's hands like a trapped butterfly. Beautiful, but broken. Some part of Chloe insisted that Maddie relocating was just a phase: an imaginary friend. Part of her assumed Maddie was a ghost, a spirit haunting her every move. It made Chloe regret decisions and turned her insane with hiding the secret. Maybe it is haunting after all.