la la land ; maddie

chapter eleven//

The brunette was hovering above her eyes, pupils blown to a scarily big size, looking tired and worn but happy. Maddie blinked, eyes threatening to close again as the light pierced the safe haven that was the darkness.
"Turn the lights down!" Kalani hissed through her teeth, and Maddie was starting to feel the pain tingling up her body. Wincing, she stifled the urge to tuck her knees into her chest. Staring up at the ceiling, she focused on the beeping of the heart monitor, before realizing the doctor was speaking.
"Madison, we need you to try to sit up." The doctor told her, and Maddie's eyes struggled to adjust to the now-dimming lights. Her heart felt like it was going to beat out of her chest, and Maddie inhaled quickly, the sharp bloom of pain stopping the breath.
"Maddie, calm down." Kalani said, and Maddie turned her head to her best friend. As she stared at her, memories rushed back. A porch swing, teary eyes and blurry smiles. Maddie could still hear the click of her heels at a party she had taken Maddie to, or the sound of her screams when a particularly bad plot hole took place in a movie, throwing popcorn.
"Lani." Maddie whispered, reaching out an arm. She originally shifted both, but the light tug of an IV brought her left down. Kalani rushed into her hug, stroking Maddie's hair.
"I'll leave you two alone for a moment, but I need Madison for testing soon." The doctor rested a hand on Kalani's arm before leaving the room. Maddie broke the hug first, looking around the room.
"Where am I?" Maddie questions, voice light and airy, hesitant.
"A hospital. You got hurt..they say your dad did it." Maddie turns her head sharply as she hears Kalani's accusatory tone. Kalani is staring at her desperately, eyes fluttering around her face, as if searching for answers that Maddie is hiding. Maddie looks away, eyes focusing on a plant a little ways away. Her blue irises redirect down to her hands, fidgeting in her lap. The nails were still painted a cool purple, Maddie's favorite color. Seeing the color now makes her sick for some reason. She feels disconnected. The path of dreams and real life were blurred, and every swallow she took felt cottony.
"I'm sending Colton in. I can't..deal with this right now." Kalani hissed, turning. All the relief of seeing Maddie awake had clearly left her. Maddie's heavy eyelids closed slightly as Kalani swung out of the room. It was almost creepy how Maddie remembered the sway of her hips, the hard steps. Maddie laid down again, playing with the phone left on the table. She turned it on, seeing the wallpaper. It was a picture of her, younger, innocent. A smile was fitted on her summer-induced-freckled face. Her eyes got stuck on the boy next to her, hand around his waist.

Colton.

Her mind whispered the name over and over, but Maddie couldn't grasp any memories. She felt like an amnesiac. Setting the phone back on the table, she sighed through her nose, when the door was flung open. The brown-haired boy strode over, and Maddie couldn't help but notice that his stride seemed broken, as if he normally had a confident walk, but was seeping into himself.
"Mads, oh my god." He says, and the voice makes things rush back to her.

A smile over the lip of a coffee cup, red cheeks.

A heartbreak, watching a cheerleader press her mouth to his.

Hope, when they breakup.

Crush.

Maddie vaguely remembers Josh, but before she can dwell on it, Colton is enveloping her frame, and everything comes back. He smells like their favorite hazelnut hot chocolate, safe like Maddie's favorite blanket during movie night.

This suddenly feels like home.

"I'm so sorry." Maddie whispered into his collarbone, and Colton pulls back, casting her a worried glance, fingers resting lightly on her cheekbones, thumbs swiping idly.
"Why?"
"For lying." Maddie's trembling now, teeth chattering. She tries to close her mouth but ends up biting her lip, and her mouth is filled with the metallic taste of blood.
"Aw, Maddie-girl, don't cry." Colton coos, and Maddie presses her face into him again, breathing in the wooly fabric of his jacket.
"I'm so scared." Maddie admits, and she doesn't comment on Colton's violent sigh, or the tightening of his arms.
"I know."

[]

hey, wonderful readers. thank you so much for all the views. in my head, colton looks like dylan o'brien, in case you're wondering. please, leave a comment and a vote! my apologies for withholding the update, i had problems with writers block and my school recently started, but here i am!

{also, dedicated to maddieexziegler because she is currently my favorite author on here and we've been discussing pringles drowning and various things in comments.}