secondly ; chloe

dedicated to one of my best friends, you'll go down as the first one to rip my heart out and stomp on it over and over and not look back.

chapter eight//

"Maddie...look at this." Chloe said. Maddie brought her head up. Chloe's heart pounded in her chest as she moved her mouse to enlarge the page.
"Hm?" Maddie hummed curiously. The noise was cut off by a startled intake of air.

Coma Patient Stirs After 6 Weeks

Madison Ziegler, 15, was placed in a coma after receiving multiple injuries of an unknown cause. Officials arrested Kurt Ziegler and Melissa Ziegler as possible suspects, but no statments or charges have been placed. Recently, Madison shifted, her chest rising a few inches. We have word that she was clearly in a lot of pain, and if she woke up, there is still no guarantee of survival. Officials state that they are waiting until Ziegler wakes before any possible claims should be filed.

"Maddie..." Chloe says. Maddie stumbled back, looking shocked.
"Why..can't I remember?" Maddie looked down at the bruises flowering over skin.
"I just remember pain." Maddie says, shifting and grimacing as if the simple word gave her agony.
"Maddie..does this mean you're alive?" Chloe asks. Maddie shrugs. Chloe turns back to the computer, clicking on another article.

Miraculous Discovery in Coma Patient Case

Recently, Madison Ziegler, a girl that was placed in a coma after brutal trauma, shifted, apparently moving her chest up towards the ceiling. Ziegler had been placed on life support for long amounts of time, as officials eagerly awaited her awaken. They had recently found a key to the locked Ziegler house, and confiscated all evidence, that includes broken beer bottles and guns, along with drugs and cigarettes. Ziegler is not expected to be a suspect, though officials contemplate interviewing her.

"Maddie....you have to wake up. Can't you come and find me?" Chloe pleads, standing up. Maddie looks alarmed.
"Chloe, I can't magically wake up from a coma." Maddie tells her. Chloe shuffles about the room.
"We have to tell Josh. Come on." Chloe says, motioning toward the door.

-

"Seriously?" Josh asked as his blue eyes scanned the article. Maddie was perched on the counter top, trying to keep herself concealed.
"Seriously." Chloe informs him, pushing a blonde lock out of her eyes. Josh looks up with a confused look.
"We have to make her wake up." Chloe said.
"That's what we do? What if she wakes up with no memory of us?" Josh argued. Chloe swallowed.
"Josh, we can't keep her suspended like this. She needs to go back." Chloe turned to Maddie to ask what she wanted to do, but she realized she was looking at empty air.

Maddie had disappeared.