2.)

↣   This is the moment where I realize I don't really need anything. Did I just subconsciously come here to do retail therapy. I guess I did. While I'm looking for the perfect summer nail color I see an attractive guy walk down one aisle. Out of curiosity I peek from around the aisle. He is wearing a Baja inspired hoodie, that is rolled up right below his elbow. His forearms are big due to the muscles he has. His brown hair is covered by the hood but it looks straight and fluffy. I don't get a very good view of him but I can already tell he has sparked an interest. He starts walking out of the door after he buys a bottle of sunscreen. When he walks out I go up to the counter laying out my pastel yellow nail polish and waterproof mascara.

After I get rung up and pay for my stuff I turn to go home but I see the guy from the store in the distance. I turn a complete 180 knowing I should just call it a day but go against my better judgment. I start heading towards the beach to see where all the teenagers were headed. It was already 8 at night so the sun was gone. Looking over the horizon of the hill down at the beach I see the guys taking off their shirts and putting on wetsuits. The girls already there had their wetsuits on, ready, for the night swim. I walk down the steps with my bag of stuff. One guy stares at me from below at the edge of the sand. He waves for me to come down. I stand there for a minute and decide to walk down. I do my best to walk without a limp. It helps when you walk down in the sand anyways because everyone looks like they can't walk.

"Hey! You're Malia Scott?" He says pointing to me while standing up with his board under arm.

"That's me." I say with a little shock as to how he knows my name.

"Kai, Kai Kersey." He puts his hand out to shake it and plasters a cocky grin on his face.

My once smile quickly turns into a scowl. Hell no. It's this guy, he was the new up comer and maybe I was jealous he was getting so much attention lately but his attitude on and off the sand always pissed me off. He was always seen with a new girl every interview it was like Baskin Robin's with a flavor of the month. Seems more like flavor of the week. The admiration I thought I had for him in the store was gone. "Hm."

"Too scared to surf now that I'm in the competition with you?" He chuckles and stares into my eyes with his blue swimming pools filled with the need for a challenge. He straightens his posture when holding his head high. His outwardly demeanor was engaging but harsh at the same time. I truly believe he was waiting for this moment for a long time.

"You don't scare me." I tell him in a stern calculated voice. I lock my gaze onto him with my fist clenched out of annoyance. He doesn't know all that I've been through. He really thinks I would stop because I think he would beat me?

"Fear the unknown." He nods his head at me and turns to look at the waves crashing the beach.

"Feed your own ego. I'm busy." I shift my arm forward to get past him and his friends. I don't want to deal with this drama I should've just stayed home and called it a night.

"You have miles to go just before you reach mediocre." He says shrugging his arms coyly. I want to wipe that stupid smirk on his face. I can feel the hair raise on my arms my heart drops to my stomach.

"What did you say?!" I completely lose it and turn around. I walk over shoving him with all my might. He falls down into the sand on his side.

"Calm down! Are you crazy?!" He yells as he tries to crawl away from me now on his back.

"Crazy?? You haven't seen crazy!" I scoff as I throw his leg rope at him.

His friends come towards us to stop me from lashing out at him.

"Fuck you." I spit out my words. The words are laced with venom. I kick sand on him with my good foot trying not to lose balance. Sand flies on his stomach and face when he is laying down.

He gets up wiping the sand off of himself and I walk away with my stuff. All of his friends move out of the way. When I walk up the sandy hill facing away from them I give a backwards middle finger. I've never been filled with more rage than just now.

I head back to my house, with all the walking I did today I felt like I ran a marathon. Dad got home with all the stuff we needed from the store. He asked me why I was home later. He really knows I don't have friends. The reason I would have friends is from surfing and since the accident most of them moved on like it was old news. I probably should've told them but they haven't really asked me where I was since I competed. Maybe it's time to meet some new people. I let my dad know I got some cosmetic stuff from the market I needed and he went back to watching baseball. I walk up to my room lay everything out, get ready for bed and pass out.