11| Comfort

-

A few days have passed since the incident that ended up putting my dad in the hospital. I skipped too many days of school for it to go unnoticed and my mom ordered me straight back to school the next day, although I was doubting I could handle it. Jungkook talked me down, as always, and he makes sure I'm okay all day. Checking up between classes and even texting me during, he stands by my side every step of the way.

I do take a small moment to myself during lunch though, running up to the third floor's boys bathroom to bawl my eyes out. I just needed a quick release of emotions and what better place for that than the old disgusting bathroom that no one sets foot into anymore. Although it's creepy in there, it's the only place I know of in school where there won't be anyone.

Finally having the day end is a blessing. I'm halfheartedly expecting to see Jungkook waiting for me outside, but my phone buzzes with a message I almost knew was coming. He has extra soccer practice to make up for the hours he missed this week.

Because he was taking care of me.

He doesn't write that. He wouldn't write that. Doesn't help me from kicking myself for it though. If I wasn't so unreasonably upset about my dad, who was doing okay at the moment, Jungkook wouldn't have to worry so much about me. He already has enough on his plate.

I walk down the sidewalk away from school with my head hung low and the strings of my hoodie drawn a little tighter. Sometimes I just wish I could disappear. I wonder if it would really matter. I wonder if I'd be nothing but a faint whisper amongst people in the hall for a week and then it would be like I never existed. Sure, Jungkook would care, but...

"Sueji!", a bright voice calls from behind me, footsteps on the pavement coming closer by the second.

I turn to see the only person I expected to see. Vibrant blue hair bounces in front of me as the big smile on Taehyung's face slowly drops to a pout.

"Where were you?!", he whines, his brow furrowed a bit, "I was so worried about you! You weren't at school for... almost a whole week!"

"Yeah...", I let out a breath as I gaze down at my feet, "I just..."

Suddenly, his hands fly up to grasp at my shoulders. My eyes dart back up to meet his that are staring down at me with the sweetest glint I've ever seen. He looks so full of life, so full of... joy at that moment.

"Sue, I made the team!", he gives me a little shake of excitement as he lights up with that dorky smile of his.

I wish I could jump for joy just like he is, but all I can manage is the corners of my mouth trembling as they tug upwards, "That's great, Blue. I'm really happy for you."

His expression falls at my reaction and I simply hate the fact that I'm the cause of it.

"Are you okay, Sueji?", he asks, concern now painting his kind features instead as he lets his hands fall to his sides.

"Huh? Yeah, I'm okay", I wave him off, wanting to turn away, but instead I find myself focusing on the little silver bracelet he keeps playing with around one of his wrists.

Gazing back up at him, it looks like he's contemplating something. His brow furrows slightly and his lower lip pulls in as he chews on it nervously, seemingly making a decision.

Then his features relax and he smiles encouragingly, "Let's go to a cafe downtown. I'll get you a cup of hot chocolate or whatever you like and you can take your mind off things for a while."

His suggestion almost has me melt and I have no idea why. Ordinarily, I would just decline. I would much rather go home and wallow in my own misery, curl up in my blankets and cry for hours. Maybe call Jungkook when it gets to be too much again. But his suggestion seems so much better in that moment.