five

"now you can be a better man for your brand new girl."

"you've got to stop glaring at her," sunmi whispered. "she's gonna see you anytime soon."

jiyeon scoffed. "but look at her, on a facetime call with her boyfriend in the middle of work."

she could hear kissing noises come from the speaker of kim jiyeon's phone, echoing in the awkward atmosphere of the office. chanhee grimaced at the sounds as he stapled documents together, eyeing the reporter who always stuck around their office.

"can't she just, i don't know, leave?" jiyeon sarcastically said, loudly tapping on her keyboard.

"now, that would be a little rude, since she hasn't been assigned to an office yet," seulgi responded.

"probably because no one wants her."

"no, it's probably because they don't know what they want her to cover."

jiyeon turned around in her swivel chair, pausing her typing. "so they just dumped her here with us?"

seulgi looked to her right while sunmi let out a sigh. "can't they just shove her with the dramatic celebrity reporters? since she's so into love and shit," jiyeon grumbled.

"maybe you should take a break," sunmi suggested, gulping at how harshly her friend was typing with the keyboard.

"and listen to them while i'm relaxing? no thanks."

the sound of the call ending came from the newbie reporter's phone as she leaned back into her chair with a dreamy sigh. the pounding on the keyboard stopped as jiyeon stood up with her id card hanging over her desk from her neck as she leaned towards the girl.

"look, i understand that you love your boyfriend a lot, but some of us are actually working here," she stated, piercing kim jiyeon's eyes with hers.

sunmi and seulgi gulped and bit their inner cheeks, praying that nothing bad would happen.

"it would be nice if you could shut- consider the people who need to get stuff done."

the reporter nodded and shot two thumbs up. "okay, i'll make sure we're quieter next time!"

the editor's friends let out a sigh of relief. "good, because if you don't, there won't be another next time," jiyeon snarled before sliding back into her seat.

"jiyeon! you should've left it at that!" sunmi whisper-yelled, slapping her friend's shoulder with her hand.

a knock on the editors' office cut jiyeon off before she could respond. minghao entered the office, looking prim and proper as always with impeccable fashion sense. he scrolled on the tablet he was holding before clearing his throat.

"kim jiyeon and yoo jiyeon, you are being summoned by the chiefs of your respective departments," minghao announced monotonously.

the two girls stood up from their seats, one with an excited smile and one with a dreadful expression. before they could walk out of the office, minghao released the door handle from his grip, slamming it shut centimeters away from their noses.

"well..." kim jiyeon mumbled.

"gotta love my manager," jiyeon grumbled, opening the door.

the two girls walked out of the editors' office, parting their separate ways. as jiyeon walked through the halls, she glared at minghao, who was back in his office on a zoom call with another company.

with just a few more steps, she arrived at the editorial chief's office. once she knocked the door, she entered the large office, sending a curt nod to the receptionist.